Bald Cypress Repot and Trim

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good looking tree. Must really help to keep the interest up when they grow so fast. Great work as always!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progression John. Thanks for the time you spent doing it.
We are on the same page regarding flat tops and submerging.
I've been letting mine grow in my pond in a basket. Taking it and others down to Sarasota with me for a month. I want to work the roots back then back into the same pond basket I think. Sister has a pond there for it to hang out.
Looks like you used mostly Lava all along then added Pumas or something this time?

@Native Tree12 I've been to Selby Gardens. Are there any must see Bonsai places in the area? I plan a drive down to Wiggarts while there. I've heard of a Vietnamese nursery in the area but not been able to find it?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Great progression John. Thanks for the time you spent doing it.
We are on the same page regarding flat tops and submerging.
I've been letting mine grow in my pond in a basket. Taking it and others down to Sarasota with me for a month. I want to work the roots back then back into the same pond basket I think. Sister has a pond there for it to hang out.
Looks like you used mostly Lava all along then added Pumas or something this time?

@Native Tree12 I've been to Selby Gardens. Are there any must see Bonsai places in the area? I plan a drive down to Wiggarts while there. I've heard of a Vietnamese nursery in the area but not been able to find it?

Thanks! I added pumice to the mix. So it is lava, pumice, and a little pine bark.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Underdog

Mai Vang Nursery
6979 Richardson Rd Sarasota, FL 34240

It is tucked into a sub-division, or the sub-division grew around it. North & East of intersection of Interstate 74 & County Road 780 - Fruitville Road, about a mile east of I-75, half mile north of Fruitville Road. Access is turn north on Coburn Rd. or Tatum Road. My cousin lives very close in the same general area or I would have never stumbled across the place.

They have all sorts of tropical and subtropical fruit trees. I think that's their main money maker. If you are looking for Sapodilla, Diospyros digyna, or D. nigra, Pouteria, and some citrus. Many more exotic fruit trees. Bonsai wise they have Ochna integerrima - Yellow Ochna, also Ochna serrulata-Mickey Mouse plant. I got a really nice pre bonsai Malpighia (Barbados cherry) there too, just about ready for a display pot.. Web prices are high, they don't like shipping, and make you pay if they have to ship. If you pick up and carry out, prices are reasonable, not necessarily cheap, but not near as high as the website. They are Vietnamese owned & run, usually at least one person there is fluent in English, it might take a few minutes for them to find that person, but just take your time and browse around.

Well worth the trip. Oh, and between Coburn & Tatum Roads, on the south side of Fruitville road is Stottlemeyer's Smokehouse - a great spot for Florida BBQ. It is right behind a gas station, but with a big sign. Great food, good spot to stop for lunch. Went there twice while I was in area for a week in 2018.

Native Tree12

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok, guys, I said somewhere in there that it needed more work, gotta get some more tools. The Dremel was no match for this. After it gets some more height, which won'the take years, I plan to shorten/ carve, do away with it, or keep it. I am open to all suggestions, that is why I posted it.

Thanks
You could always create a more natural looking break on the top just shorter ?..you carved a realistic looking bottle ..label and all LOL

Native Tree12

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update: I took advantage of the sunny weather today to repot this guy. I find working the trees a sort of therapy and today I needed some. My mother-in-law passed away Saturday, she was very special to me and I needed some time to just think. She was a big fan of my trees and I kinda felt she was with me as I worked. I will miss her...

I got a really nice pot from Waldo Street Pottery, Eli Akins, that I put this one in.

DSC04663-1.jpg

DSC04682-1.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Update: I took advantage of the sunny weather today to repot this guy. I find working the trees a sort of therapy and today I needed some. My mother-in-law passed away Saturday, she was very special to me and I needed some time to just think. She was a big fan of my trees and I kinda felt she was with me as I worked. I will miss her...

I got a really nice pot from Waldo Street Pottery, Eli Akins, that I put this one in.

View attachment 352357

View attachment 352358
So sorry to hear about your mother in law. I'm sure she was smiling down upon you during the repot.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear of your loss.

She must have been special....not many folks are fan's of a "Mellow Mullet".......trust me, I had some power mullets back in the day.....

Nice tree/pot pairing. :cool:

Top Bottom