Bald cypress saplings

Bertyfly

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all. New here. I potted 4 bald cypress saplings last may from the one growing in my yard. I intend to attempt a grove bonsai( maybe too ambitious for my first try??) I have a few questions.
1. In zone 9a, what do I do with them in winter?
2. When can I put the in a bonsai pot?
3. What's the best soil to use?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
1. Put the pot on the ground and make sure it does not dry out. I have wintered BC outside in Denver with little to no protection so zone 9 should be a breeze.
2. When they’re the appropriate size.
3. I recommend and use akadama but there are many, many options.

Good luck!

Bertyfly

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you! Here is a quick pic for "appropriate" size. Should I wait for a little more girth?

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_112615000.jpg
    IMG_20210818_112615000.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 20

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't use akadama on a BC until it is the size you want and you want to slow down its growth. The link I posted have all the threads by @Mellow Mullet for BC, from seedlings to full size. All the information is there, with hundreds of pictures. More information than anyone could answer here in a single post.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
they loves water. doesnt akadama hold onto very little of it? would have to water it 3 times a day to suffice its watering

mines growing okay in nursery soil. next year ill move it into perlite, compost, and oildry pellets. 30% each

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, those are pretty small, I think they need some time before they’re ready for a bonsai pot. I wouldn’t waste the akadama until they’re ready to go into a pot. I’d just use a pumice based grow-out mix until then.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
they loves water. doesnt akadama hold onto very little of it? would have to water it 3 times a day to suffice its watering

mines growing okay in nursery soil. next year ill move it into perlite, compost, and oildry pellets. 30% each
akadama is great for trees into refinement, but not for development. even Ryan says that and he uses 100% akadama on bald cypress. I am running an experiment right now. One BC in the grow bed with inorganic bonsai soil and another in the same soil but with the post immersed 1/2 way in water. After 3months I pulled the one from the one from the grow bed and placed it inside a 5 gal bucket with water and then into the grow bed. The one in water quadruple the growth of the one in the grow bed. 2 weeks in the bucket and the bark is already splitting from growth at the base.

Bertyfly

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is all very helpful. Thanks again. Development stage is where I'm at. Patience. Breathe.

Top Bottom