Bald cypress seedlings

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My bald cypress are starting to swell, I bought some 11 by 14 dish pans that are 4 inches deep to repot them in but I think those may be too large. Right now they are in 2 8in bulb pans and a 10in ceramic pot. I know the ones in the ceramic pot need repotting soon but I was wondering if the ones on bulb pans would be good for another year or not. Heres a pic of them last summer for reference 20180930_175506.jpg20180930_175514.jpg20180930_175637.jpg

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,

They are really nice, specially the little forest from last photo. By the interest, how old are they?
Im just about to plant some seeds, hopefully they will germinate.

Yes i used the same bowls for some of my trees, you dont need to fill it in fully if you think its too deep, just drill a lot of draining holes.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey,

They are really nice, specially the little forest from last photo. By the interest, how old are they?
Im just about to plant some seeds, hopefully they will germinate.

Yes i used the same bowls for some of my trees, you dont need to fill it in fully if you think its too deep, just drill a lot of draining holes.
They're about a year old I started them from seed, thinking bout collecting some more seeds now since they already stratified. Yeah that's what I was thinking also. If I have enough soil mix I'll be repotting soon

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice one, they are huge like for 1 year seedlings, wow.
How did you plant them? i got different instructions from different people,
I slit mine in half, so 1st half was soaked in water for 2 weeks now and i will be planting them now according to sellers instructions
2nd half - seeds from different guy - he told me to soak them in the water for around 1-3 months but keep it in the fridge for a whole time.

I'm not sure which one is better or would work, seeds looks tough.
I haven't plant any of them yet so any advice would be appreciated.

I also heard they have really strong tap root, not sure how deep container should be for germination of course :)

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice one, they are huge like for 1 year seedlings, wow.
How did you plant them? i got different instructions from different people,
I slit mine in half, so 1st half was soaked in water for 2 weeks now and i will be planting them now according to sellers instructions
2nd half - seeds from different guy - he told me to soak them in the water for around 1-3 months but keep it in the fridge for a whole time.

I'm not sure which one is better or would work, seeds looks tough.
I haven't plant any of them yet so any advice would be appreciated.

I also heard they have really strong tap root, not sure how deep container should be for germination of course :)
I soaked mine for like a week or 2 and planted them loosely in potting soil in a old plastic container with a lid by a space heater for warmth since I don't have a heat mat and once they sprouted I put them in bonsai soil. I sprouted all my bald cypress this way and I have around 38 seedlings. I haven't tried any other way. Good luck

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah all the tap roots grew through the drainage holes the first year. I cut them like 3 times last year and it didn't even slow top growth.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for all the info, very useful, i think i will plant mine in the greenhouse, i guess that should be warm enough.
Do you remember how long did it take since you plant them till you saw them germinating ?

Top Bottom