Bald cypress styling help

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So back in early February I ordered this collected bald cypress from wigerts. One thing I'll say about that, was it was a BAD time to do so.
The tree got here and was okay but having come from Florida I knew it couldn't handle the February cold so I put it into my greenhouse.
I was having branches die every week for about a month at which point I potted it into this grow bag to try and give it some space to be happy.
This seemed to work as the tree started growing again and became pretty vigorous mid summer.
I pruned the leader hard in July to stimulate budding on the left side of the trunk. Well, after another month and a half it's growing strong again, but no buds in that area.

I had a bad feeling the trunk had a portion die off so I scratched the bark and it was exactly as I expected, 1/3 of the trunk was dead.

I wanted to style this tree based off of my teachers BC but that can't happen now, or at least as I expected to do.

So here's the tree20160821_090958.jpg
And a shot of the "canopy"20160821_090646.jpg
And a good Ole birds eye view20160821_091120.jpg
Any help with styling ideas would be great, maybe it just needs to grow for a couple years then the tree will tell me but since it is healthy again, I figured I'd like to start training it.

Aaron

Top Bottom