Bald Cypress Suburbs of Chicago

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am looking for some bald cypress in the suburbs of Chicago area. I have called a few big box stores they do not have any and I have called a few nurserys but for a caliper of 1- 2 inch they are asking $400 bucks. I may just get some seedlings, but I wanted to maybe find some on discount at the end of the season to have some at different stages.

Does anyone in the area know of anywhere that may have some on clearance or somewhat reasonable? Thank you

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My experience is that a BC with some trunk caliper starts to get expensive. If you're in the $400+ price range I would highly recommend Zach Smith at Bonsai South. He's got some serious BCs and measures caliper above the flare, so if he says its 2" that base is going to be giant.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ya I may have gotten spoiled with my very cheap home depot finds this year (all under $20) 😂 I was wanting to spend at most 50-75 if it was "nice" and an end of season sale, but I cant justify spending 400 on one that size, or 99 for one that is 1/2 inch. Maybe I have unrealistic goals for this area as it does not seem overly popular here.

If anyone needs a collecting buddy next year let me know I will make the drive to where ever haha

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know the feeling. $15 JMs at Home Depot near me gets me every time.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ugh. @Backwardsvg - you should just chill until spring, then every box store and mom & pop nursery will have BC in spring, because around here, the "landscape wisdom" is BC get planted in spring, fall planting is a likely fail. So nurseries only stock them in spring. Spruce, Fir and Junipers are everywhere, because they transplant well into the landscape pretty much until the snow flies. Patience, and you won't have to pay shipping fees. If you really want a BC right now, use the internet and make phone calls. Search the near 100 nurseries in suburban Lake, McHenry, Kane, Dupage and Grundy counties surrounding Chicago. These are the nurseries that size up seedling stock to larger size to ship into Chicago area for the landscaper companies. They usually will sell single trees, even though they really look more like "wholesale only". Use the map function and the internet, then call. Most don't list their inventory on line, so a call is the needed. You should be able to find some. I'm in the northern burbs, there some "big names" I recognize near Fox Lake Illinois, Wilson's and Poul's, Whispering Hill's, Fiore Landscape & Nursery, are all names I'd check out. But they are in my neighborhood. Search "Nurseries near me" and expand out from your zip code. Make phone calls.

Or just wait until spring, when finding BC is very easy.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm a dummy. I forgot to mention my friend Jim at BC Bonsai in Wheaton IL. They have a small shop at their home, its a part time business, and they have a more than 10 acre growing out field a few miles to the south of their home. They have hundreds of pre-bonsai, nursery stock and all kinds of stuff. And their prices tend to be quite reasonable.

They are very likely to have a BC or two laying around. Tell Jim I sent you. Oh, the BC Bonsai name is from the first letter of Jim's last name and his wife's last name, I keep blanking out on what her first name is. I haven't seen them since before Covid.

One more option.
Bonsai Show, August 19 thru Aug 21 at Chicago Botanic Garden. The CBG is at Lake - Cook Road and Highway 41 in Glencoe IL. The CBG is run jointly by Chicago Park District and Cook County. As a result I have met both Tony Preckwinkle and Laurie Lightfoot at shows at the CBG, as they are the "womens whats in charge". It is startling to bump into them, usually you notice their bodyguards first. Tony is really very friendly, we had a 10 minute conversation the first time I met her. Must have been a slow news day.

The Bonsai Show is put on by the Midwest Bonsai Society, it will have 100's of exhibition trees, at least 15 to 20 vendors from all over the country, the vendors will bring trees nursery stock and there is always an abundance of seedling bald cypress at the August show. Superfly bonsai will be there with tools. Some vendors will have pumice, akadama and other substrates for sale. And of course POTS. You can meet Sarah Raynor in person, and buy a pot from her. I buy a pot from Sarah every year, usually just one, I probably have 35 or 40 Sarah Raynor pots, most just sit on the shelf looking nice. But I like her style. She's not all that talkative, but it is always fun to see what she brings, each year her pots evolve, different in styles, textures and glazes. Each year a different clay body, it is fun seeing the changes over time. Linda Ippel might be there, a Michigan potter, there are usually 4 or more potters, Byron Merrick is a bonsai potter from Louisiana that you MUST take a look at his offerings. Very useable pots. Most of my pots from Byron have trees in them. (not just sitting on a shelf). So get to the show Aug 19 to 21

Last edited:

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm a dummy. I forgot to mention my friend Jim at BC Bonsai in Wheaton IL. They have a small shop at their home, its a part time business, and they have a more than 10 acre growing out field a few miles to the south of their home. They have hundreds of pre-bonsai, nursery stock and all kinds of stuff. And their prices tend to be quite reasonable.

They are very likely to have a BC or two laying around. Tell Jim I sent you.

I actually got one from him! He’s only 15 mins from me. It’s a smaller one, so I was hoping to find a medium ish one too to start growing out.

I’ve called some nurseries but maybe I’ll just wait till spring. I was hoping to get lucky with end of season sales hah

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I actually got one from him! He’s only 15 mins from me. It’s a smaller one, so I was hoping to find a medium ish one too to start growing out.

I’ve called some nurseries but maybe I’ll just wait till spring. I was hoping to get lucky with end of season sales hah
Give it a couple seasons and you’ll get 2-3”+ caliper trunk in no time. There’s plenty of success threads on here documenting quick ways to thicken those bad boys up. I’m almost convinced no other species thicken up faster than BC, especially if given lots of water and fertilizer.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Give it a couple seasons and you’ll get 2-3”+ caliper trunk in no time. There’s plenty of success threads on here documenting quick ways to thicken those bad boys up. I’m almost convinced no other species thicken up faster than BC, especially if given lots of water and fertilizer.

Yeah for sure I have been reading through many of them. Lots of success so I am excited for it. I just want some at different stages! Excuse the background

This is my BC bonsai one @Leo in N E Illinois it’s small but will be nice in a few years. I’m sad they chopped it but it’s ok I’m going to let it run a few years

Attachments

• 0466CE7C-BBB9-48E2-A915-CB0B9D01FC5B.jpeg
    0466CE7C-BBB9-48E2-A915-CB0B9D01FC5B.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 45

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just got 3 for 20/ea at lowes. 1.5" at base.

I wish I could grow maples like you can up there. Greener grass and all that.

If the local guy Leo suggested doesnt work out, Facebook auctions (reg and .99) will pop up with BC seedlings occasionally. More that I'll pay as I plan to collect 5-10# of seed this year, but less than $100 and they'll get big quickly.

Edit: I see you're looking for a bigger one. It'll prob come down to money or time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do grow fast. I have a couple of them that sit in a couple of inches of water all the time.

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am looking for some bald cypress in the suburbs of Chicago area. I have called a few big box stores they do not have any and I have called a few nurserys but for a caliper of 1- 2 inch they are asking $400 bucks. I may just get some seedlings, but I wanted to maybe find some on discount at the end of the season to have some at different stages.

Does anyone in the area know of anywhere that may have some on clearance or somewhat reasonable? Thank you
I got my BC from BC Bonsai last year, I really haven't done any major work on it. Here’s the tree, photo taken last July.

You can also check Platt Hill Nursery, along Lake Street in Bloomingdale. They have BCs and Redwoods.

Attachments

• 20220723_144333.jpg
    20220723_144333.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom