Bald Cypress taper carving

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello all. I had acquired a pre bonsai BC and removed unwanted branches. I’d like to keep the remaining branches but there’s an area I’d like to reduce to create a more natural taper. Would spring (as the buds break) be a better time to do the carving? I know some have said it doesn’t matter if the carving is into dead wood but this taper carving is one I’d like to heal up over time. The area I’d like to carve does have the chop wound healing by it.

Thanks!

Front:
A5C4F244-61DA-4B71-8846-285F2FB06101.jpeg

03941A9C-52CB-4DB7-9713-C8D4C6936AF9.jpeg

Chop wound:

8767FA89-C3D6-4BC0-8B29-E7A3ED32303C.jpeg

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What I hope to achieve on the carve:

F8D38079-BECF-4290-8E74-02AF1E19BF75.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most carvings on BC I have seen done were in spring after post-flush hardening. I don't know if you are open to options, but I think that your first photo presents the best tree to me.

Red would be what you have now wired into position, the orange line could be an option if you wanted to bring the branches that low. Eventually you will have many options once spring growth kicks in that will help you decide where to go.

BC.jpg

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Most carvings on BC I have seen done were in spring after post-flush hardening. I don't know if you are open to options, but I think that your first photo presents the best tree to me.

Red would be what you have now wired into position, the orange line could be an option if you wanted to bring the branches that low. Eventually you will have many options once spring growth kicks in that will help you decide where to go.

View attachment 447559
I haven’t wired anything yet. All that’s been done has been cutting off unwanted branches but your drawing is close to what I had in mind!

Top Bottom