Bald Cypress Trunk Chop

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
image.jpeg Just got a dwarf bald cypress at the discount section of my local nursery for only $20. I've never worked with BC before, and want to know if it's too late to trunk chop this beast to start working on taper or if I should be patient and wait til spring?
Any advice is very welcomed.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Be careful trunk chopping that. Peve Minaret are generally grafted. Chop too low and you'll be rewarded with regular foliage for your effort.

Scott

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I live in north GA and I'd wait until next spring here.
Patience it is then...
Would you cut straight across and carve later or at 45 degrees? I've been reading conflicting info for this species. Thanks for the reply.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Be careful trunk chopping that. Peve Minaret are generally grafted. Chop too low and you'll be rewarded with regular foliage for your effort.

Scott
Thanks for the info Scott. I surely don't see any sign of a graft, but there are some areas well covered in moss. I'm envisioning this one being pretty tall when all is said and done so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Post a picture after this one drops it's needles, and perhaps out of the can with some of the top soil removed. If you've got some basal flare and/or the start to some decent roots, you may not need to chop this one, at least from where I'm standing.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I'm really interested to see how this turns out. A BC is going to be my next tree.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patience it is then...
Would you cut straight across and carve later or at 45 degrees? I've been reading conflicting info for this species. Thanks for the reply.
I don't know the apical dominance of Peve Minaret, but if it's anything like regular BC you must cut straight across. Otherwise you'll risk a nasty reverse taper at the chop. If the tree is not apically dominant, making the fist cut a straight one won't really affect your plan. They all get an angled cut in year two regardless.

Zach

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Post a picture after this one drops it's needles, and perhaps out of the can with some of the top soil removed. If you've got some basal flare and/or the start to some decent roots, you may not need to chop this one, at least from where I'm standing.
I surely will. It does have a nice leader from the chop the nursery did. Thanks for your input and I'll pick your brains again after leaf drop.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I agree with Dave here... BC in nature can have little taper above the basal flare so it may be at a good height already!

Top Bottom