Bald cypress with pale yellow foliage

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Unlikely, being a root parasite. I suspect it'll take some kind of insecticidal root drench but I've never performed one so can't advise you. I'd contact Zack or @BillsBayou and get their input.
Understood. Actually tried the watering in method today with some Malathion. Then flushed the tree very thoroughly. I've read that the drenching method is much more effective but also riskier for the tree. I also busted the Rim of the pot pulling it out of the tub so I'm gonna need to slip pot it onto a new one if I'm gonna be dunking it again. I not sure I'd be able to get it back out other wise. I probably wait a week or two to see how it responses then dunk it

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the leaves on my oldest bald cypress. My situation is different in that I did hard work on it in January, then the tree erupted with long twigs and yellow leaves. The stems of the leaves were find. I tried fertilizing it, and it didn't seem to have an effect. The soil has not been changed in .... forever. I ran a screwdriver through the root ball in several places to improve drainage and distribution of nutrients. I then soaked the tree in a tub of water mixed with liquid fish emulsion. About 1.5 tablespoons per gallon. I added the water to the tub by mixing the emulsion in a 2-gallon watering can and watering the roots. I submerged the roots up to about half an inch above the root line. 3 days later it smelled like I killed a guy and forgot to bury him. The tree's roots were submerged for about a month then a hole was drilled into the tub to release the water. I also sprayed the foliage with Ironite. No success for weeks. The tree only got weaker and weaker looking. About half the leaves turned brown and fell off the tree. Then finally, the remaining leaves started turning green and new growth is coming in fully green.

I'll see how well the tree recovers before deciding to repot it or not this December.

I believe the culprit is the heavy cut on a tree with bad soil. The tree had enough of what it needed to grow branches and leaves, but not nearly enough to fill them with chlorophyll and vigor.
interesting... You know something else I've considered is, too much salt build up. like yours, mine looks like its been in the pot forever and if the water is off and when watering the tree, if it's not water thoroughly enough for water to run out the bottom it will cause it to build up salts and impede the trees ability to uptake water. Which is common for the nursery watering by some kid. Then someone comes along and hits it with fertilizer and just magnifies the issue. The only thing is you would think submerging the tree would cure it. IDK.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
@Bonsaihead seems like you're on the right track. It's not dead lol thats always progress I think. I recently got a BC, nothing that old or great. I didn't completely bareroot it, but I knocked most of the sandy clay that it was planted in off and fuzzed up the side roots a little. I have it in water for now with soil mixture of potting soil, redbud compost, and perlite. I really love these trees.

I'm curious how'd you determine to add coffee to the water? After reading up on them I was concerned about acidic soils vs alkaline and all that, but I had already re-potted by then :confused:
I love them too! I'm praying to mr. Miyagi I can save it. I soaked the used coffee grounds in water then strained them out and then watered the tree with the water. I did this because I read that bald cypress like acidic soil. If a acidic loving tree is an alkaline soil it will stop the trees ability to uptake iron, chlorosis it was it's called. Obviously coffee is very acidic and since I live off it, I it's Ridley available

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Alright everyone, little bit of a update. So far I've dunked the tree twice with a average portion of Malathion. I've added d some coffee grounds to make sure the soil was acidic enough and I've hit it with some chelated iron a couple of times. Good news it's still alive. Although it doesn't seem to be greening up at all. I'd say a pale yellow at best still and it's moving incredibly slow. Any other ideas of what it could possibly be or what my next step should be? Took some pics, I'll post below

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Oh and I almost forgot I also gave it a light biogold application
I was wondering how people fertilize these as mine is sitting in a tub of water, I dont think a Miracle Gro bath would work.... Is it just fert cakes or something similar?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

I don't know, it looks ill, but you already know that. It looks almost like an anthracose attack like I see on my maples, but I have never had it hit my BC. Do you have access to a microscope? There is a mite, the bald cypress rust mite, that attack mine every year that makes the leaves look like they are rusting. They are very tiny and you need a very good magnifying glass, loupe, or preferably a microscope to see them, they look like the ones in this post, https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/attack-of-the-mites.27063/ , that are pictured eating a serissa. Give a week and it does not green up, hit it with a fungicide and a miticide.

I have never added coffee grounds to my soil, not sure how much that effects the pH anyway. Unless you are watering with ph neutral water (which is 7, most tap water is basic, mine is 8.2), trying to adjust the ph of the soil with coffee grounds is kinda like trying to bail out a sinking ship with a coffee can. I don't worry about the ph, just give them a pinch of ironite when they look a little faded.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I was wondering how people fertilize these as mine is sitting in a tub of water, I dont think a Miracle Gro bath would work.... Is it just fert cakes or something similar?

I throw a little osmacoat extended release on mine and give it a cup or two of miracle grow once or twice a year.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
I guess you could call them cakes, I guess... IMAG0247.jpg but if they were sitting in water they would definitely break down, which I don't think would be a problem. I'm just a big fan of organic fert because of it developing microryza and it's benefits

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
I don't know, it looks ill, but you already know that. It looks almost like an anthracose attack like I see on my maples, but I have never had it hit my BC. Do you have access to a microscope? There is a mite, the bald cypress rust mite, that attack mine every year that makes the leaves look like they are rusting. They are very tiny and you need a very good magnifying glass, loupe, or preferably a microscope to see them, they look like the ones in this post, https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/attack-of-the-mites.27063/ , that are pictured eating a serissa. Give a week and it does not green up, hit it with a fungicide and a miticide.

I have never added coffee grounds to my soil, not sure how much that effects the pH anyway. Unless you are watering with ph neutral water (which is 7, most tap water is basic, mine is 8.2), trying to adjust the ph of the soil with coffee grounds is kinda like trying to bail out a sinking ship with a coffee can. I don't worry about the ph, just give them a pinch of ironite when they look a little faded.
So you don't think the Malathion would kill off the rust mites? The coffee grounds is actually supposed to be rather effective in terms of raising the acidity according to a couple of people. Who knows if they know what they are talking about or not but figured it was worth a shot. I was reading one post and a lady had a bald cypress that was yellow and she added coffee and nothing else and in a matter of days it turned green.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I guess you could call them cakes, I guess... View attachment 203732 but if they were sitting in water they would definitely break down, which I don't think would be a problem. I'm just a big fan of organic fert because of it developing microryza and it's benefits
It just sits on the surface and breaks down as you water anyway right?

My BC isn't fully submerged, only about 1/2 way, but I dont really "water" it due to it sitting in water lol so did you just mix this into the soil?

Also, does microryza develop in a submerged pot?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was under the impression that dunking the rootball in Malathion would kill them. No?
I don't know... have you checked the roots since your treatment? Just saw your last response... I'd risk losing a few buds on the trunk to see what's going on down there.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So you don't think the Malathion would kill off the rust mites? The coffee grounds is actually supposed to be rather effective in terms of raising the acidity according to a couple of people. Who knows if they know what they are talking about or not but figured it was worth a shot. I was reading one post and a lady had a bald cypress that was yellow and she added coffee and nothing else and in a matter of days it turned green.

No, malathion and most regular pesticides are ineffective against mites. You have to use a mite specific pesticide, or miticide. I use Avid, Floramite, and Forbid, in rotation. So far, I have been mite free this year.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
It just sits on the surface and breaks down as you water anyway right?

My BC isn't fully submerged, only about 1/2 way, but I dont really "water" it due to it sitting in water lol so did you just mix this into the soil?

Also, does microryza develop in a submerged pot?
yeah it breaks down slowly. I make piles of the correct poportion and evenly space them then the next time I fertilize the application is placed evenly in between the first applications. If I was you I would install a draining spicket on the tub of water that you have the trees pot in. That way you can drain old water then water the tree until the tub is filled up again.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
OK @Mellow Mullet @Dav4 and whoever else that's still following. I went ahead and pulled it out of the can again. It appears I still have root Mealy bugs. Way less white spots but still a couple. Also saw tiny little white bugs that moved rather fast. Faster then I'd suspect root aphid to move. Also killed some of the roots it appears. No more happy white tip roots only a few emerging out of some of the dead roots. Looks like root rot-ish. Doubt you can overwater this thing so I would suspect that it was the Malathion that did the damage. So now I'm at a bit of a conundrum. I know I have a infestation but also know that the treatment is probably killing my roots too. Obviously I don't wanna leave those little basterds in there to just multiply multiply multiply and develop the original population but also nervous that I'll kill more roots and possibly the tree if I treat again.

Top Bottom