Bald cypress with pale yellow foliage

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
OK guys picked up a bald cypress today from a local nursery that has severe yellowing and even some browning and drying out at the tips of the canopy. It was half off 50. So I gladly bought it for 25. It's got close to a 4" trunk and nice nabari. But first before I can enjoy my find and get working on it I obviously gotta make the tree happy again. my guess is that it's soil is too acidic which is preventing the abortion of nitrogen but not sure I'm new to bald cypress and this is my first one so I would like to hear what one here thinks the issue might be and what the correct approach to cue is. Pics below. Thanks guys!!! IMAG0167.jpgIMAG0167.jpgIMAG0164.jpgIMAG0163.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 6

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Where did you get it? I looks like heat stress and not enough water. Don't be surprised if most of those leaves fall off, it will leaf out again so don't worry. Water it well and maybe even set the pot in a bucket of water. As far as acidic soil, BC don't really mind that too much so I would not fret over it.

John

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
A nursery called big value. Well I first saw it about a month ago in the same condition and was tempted to buy it then but didn't. It was also in a row of about ten others that all looked very happy and the soil was pretty wet both times when I looked at it

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's what mine looked liek last year when I let them get too dry

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I feel like 90% of the time the box stores near me put trees on clearance it's because some jag off skipped watering during his shift. I second dunking it

Yep! That is why I asked where he got it, the Home Depot here is notorious for not watering. I have seen so many plants just whither away at that store.

John

Reactions: GGB

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
OK will keep it soaked for a couple of weeks to see if I cures it. I will add one piece of info that I forgot to mention was that it did also rain here in Florida for like two solid weeks straight with pretty much no sun what so ever in between my visits, which was another reason I normally didn't think it was a water issue

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hmmmm now I'm starting to wonder if it's a water up take issue with the roots instead of a lack of water
Important thing to remember any time you have a problem with the roots the end results will be to limit the tree's ability to take up water. Root rot limist the tree's ability to take up water, pest in the roots limits the tree's ability to take up water the end result of most root disorders is the the tree dies of thirst even if it is too much water; go figure. So what's left? Lack of Iron or an advanced dose of Spider mites to name two of the more common.

Have you removed the tree from the pot and looked at the roots? Are they black, mushy and smell? If that's the case you have root rot meaning an emergency repot. If the soil is dry and powdery then you know it's a lack of water and if that is the case you might have to repot into a decent soil mix.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
If that were my tree I would pull it out of the pot and shake it hard a few seconds and shake out the nursery mix. If it has rotten roots you will be able to see and cut them out. There should also be some nice white tipped roots growing somewhere. Then I would put a scoop of Bonsai soil in the bottom then mix the nursery mix with a bit of bonsai soil and pot it back up. Then I would water this thing like mad - like not water it but over water it. I would also crush a couple sumo cakes on the top and sprinkle around.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Actually just finished pulling it out of the pot. Root tips appear to be in great shape. It was definitely crawling with ants and other critters. Also has pale blue spots on the bottom of the root ballIMAG0170.jpgIMAG0168.jpgIMAG0173.jpgIMAG0172.jpg

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Anyone know what that is? I good or bad? If bad what do you recommend i treat with? I also does the ants mean that I probably have a infestation of something else? If so how should treat?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes, what butlern said, possibly root aphids. They can be partly responsible for your tree's condition. The malathion will kill them, ants, and most any other critter in there.

John

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Anyone know what that is? I good or bad? If bad what do you recommend i treat with? I also does the ants mean that I probably have a infestation of something else? If so how should treat?
That is vey good! It is Microrhiza a beneficial fungus that grows on the roots of conifers. I assume you are talking about the little puffs of white stuff in the roots. If you have this much Microrhizza residing in your roots your problem is not in the soil. There for it has to be in the foliage. I would go for spider mites. Hold a piece of white paper under the foliage and gently tap the growth. Check the stuff the falls from the branches. Does it look like very small dust and does it move, also rub your hand over the dust, if it leaves red or brown streaks you have mites. You can wash them off or you can use insecticidal soap, your trees resistence to the soap is not known to me.

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That is vey good! It is Microrhiza a beneficial fungus that grows on the roots of conifers. I assume you are talking about the little puffs of white stuff in the roots. If you have this much Microrhizza residing in your roots your problem is not in the soil. There for it has to be in the foliage. I would go for spider mites. Hold a piece of white paper under the foliage and gently tap the growth. Check the stuff the falls from the branches. Does it look like very small dust and does it move, also rub your hand over the dust, if it leaves red or brown streaks you have mites. You can wash them off or you can use insecticidal soap, your trees resistence to the soap is not known to me.

That is why I said "possibly", I had the root aphids once and they looked a lot like that. The Microrhiza looked different from the aphids, but I agree, it could be either. Mites are a problem too, one of mine is prone to rust mites, two treatments with Avid and Forbid and so far mite free (fingers crossed). Good call Vance.

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your feedback so far. So based off my space situation and the fact that regardless of the issue, all off the foliage is toast or close to and the tree needing to regrow new foliage anyways I decided to give it the swing of the ax. It has about eight or nine shoots about a inch long on the trunk still and a leader about a foot long. I did the spider mite taste and just had one random bug fall off. Still sprayed it with need oil to be safe. I knew about Microrhiza, just couldn't remember the name of it or how to tell the difference between it and root aphids or other critters. Even though that is believed to be Microrhiza by you guys and the health of the root mass I still believe that the issue lays somewhere inside of that root ball. based off all the ants inside the soil and also the new shoots that are popping out low on the trunk are coming out yellow

Top Bottom