BALD CYPRESS

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a bald cypress I purchased from Martin Sweeny last year at the Winter Silhouette Expo. The material was grown from a cutting. This tree appealed to me because of its small size, good trunk movement and excellent nebari. Most of these BC trees seen as bonsai are collected and large to very large in size. So its relatively small size of just 16" tall caught my eye. I thought Martin had done an excellent job in growing this cypress and setting it up to have a good future as a bonsai.

This is the tree as purchased in December 2016.

In April, the tree was repotted into a dark blue glazed Reiho container. Then in June, the tree was pruned, wired and foliage thinned to promote back budding. At this time I made some design decisions and roughly set the tree's initial framework as a bonsai. One of the thicker upward facing branches was kept for now as a second apex.

After the initial styling work in June, the tree was left to grow for the remainder of the growing season. This is the tree last October in its fall color.

After leaf fall all wires were removed.

Although I was relatively happy with the styling done back in June, I wanted to push the design and give the tree a more unique identity and character. So I decided to make it into a weeping style tree still keeping the double apex as a feature. I'd like to increase the volume of the canopy and further develop the ramification as the design settles and the tree matures. 16" tall from soil level in a 13.5" wide Reiho pot.

One year into bonsai training.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree! I prefer the smaller trunks to very large or even really large. Only a few large ones have appealed to me. I just found a sapling in my neighborhood creek two days and pulled it up and through in pot. We will see if it lives.

Great tree and good work.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Always such clean purposeful work from you. Based on your observations of its growth, do you think this will be a good smaller bonsai?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replies! I had fun trying something a little different. We'll see where it goes.

Always such clean purposeful work from you. Based on your observations of its growth, do you think this will be a good smaller bonsai?

Thanks David! I think these trees may be much easier maintained in larger sizes. As you probably know, they naturally back bud profusely so it needs attention. Although its smaller size is very charming, I do think it will be challenging specially in this weeping form. I will play and see.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Man that is some awesome work in such a short period of time! I'm not being critical of your work but the first thing that caught my eye was that short upward pointing branch on the left. Although it is probably more natural than most would like to admit I wondered what it would look like without it. I hope you don't mind me putting this up as just "food for thought" and to get your opinion.

MACH5.jpg

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are some very nice specimen weeping bald cypress at the nearby Duke Gardens. They have one medium sized tree trained over some stairs to provide a natural roof. It is a beautiful piece to see in real life.

Great work Sergio!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man that is some awesome work in such a short period of time! I'm not being critical of your work but the first thing that caught my eye was that short upward pointing branch on the left. Although it is probably more natural than most would like to admit I wondered what it would look like without it. I hope you don't mind me putting this up as just "food for thought" and to get your opinion.

View attachment 172268

Sure thanks Vin. Yes I agree, but it was sort of an obvious edit. I left it for now as a second (and perhaps controversial) apex. :)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most would think that because I live in Florida BC would develop much faster. However, I have several and have not been able to get the developing branching you have in just one year. I must rethink what I'm doing and see if there's something I'm missing.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Damn! That's killer!

Nice pot and placement choices as well!

I am hoping to to create a "smaller BC" too, with the one I have.

Well done :cool:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Most would think that because I live in Florida BC would develop much faster. However, I have several and have not been able to get the developing branching you have in just one year. I must rethink what I'm doing and see if there's something I'm missing.

Vin that is very surprising!!! I did prune back and thinned the foliage quite a bit in June. It sort of exploded after that and had to keep rubbing off unwanted shoots all season long.

Reactions: Vin

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Damn! That's killer!

Nice pot and placement choices as well!

I am hoping to to create a "smaller BC" too, with the one I have.

Well done :cool:

Thanks JWI! Have fun with yours. Much credit needs to go to Martin Sweeny for growing this material so nicely. I highly recommend him. Really nice guy and offers good field grown material at very reasonable prices.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin that is very surprising!!! I did prune back and thinned the foliage quite a bit in June. It sort of exploded after that and had to keep rubbing off unwanted shoots all season long.
Are you using a heavy organic soil mixture and/or keeping it in a tray of water?

Top Bottom