Bald cypress

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The reason the foilage on the FL tree looked like a pond cypress, was that it probally was !!! Who ever collected it probally did not notice the difference... they can often time be found here in FL growing almost side by side.

Uh, no?:rolleyes: Interbreeding between pond cypress and bald cypress is possible. They are very closely related-so closely that some scientists consider pond cypress and bald cypress to be the same species.

Have you ever compared the leaves of trees from different regions, or are you just relying on what you see in a 30 mile radius of your house? If you venture beyond that, you'd see there is great variation in BC and other tree species...What's true in your neighborhood may not be true elsewhere.

Reaction score
*yawn*

I'll give ya one thing...your consistant. A jerk in the bar and on the forum. Two for two.

YEP, I AM A JERK for disagreeing with some one and not believing that the statements that were put forth to be true... If one would note I was only disagreeing with those statements from my point of view... I DID NOT HAVE TO RESOLVE MY DIFFERENCES BY CALLING SOME ONE A JERK...
Thanks for the not "ALMOST PERSONAL ATTACK", BUT RATHER PERSONAL ATTACK ASSHOLE!!!!

Reaction score
"The reason the foilage on the FL tree looked like a pond cypress, was that it probally was !!! Who ever collected it probally did not notice the difference... they can often time be found here in FL growing almost side by side.

Uh, no?:rolleyes: Interbreeding between pond cypress and bald cypress is possible. They are very closely related-so closely that some scientists consider pond cypress and bald cypress to be the same species.

Have you ever compared the leaves of trees from different regions, or are you just relying on what you see in a 30 mile radius of your house? If you venture beyond that, you'd see there is great variation in BC and other tree species...What's true in your neighborhood may not be true elsewhere.

The "rolled eyes" thing... that's cute... and sorry to trouble you... But yes, you are correct that they are very closely related, and yes it is true some inbreading is totally possible... But they are still two different plants... and technically the inbreeding would it not make a third???
Thanks also, for the geographical lesson... It's funny that you would say this, after originally commenting on the fact that "ALL" Florida Bald Cypress have foilage like that of a Pond Cypress... when in all actually... I think one would find very few with those characteristic, if any...
And I am not trying to be some "JERK" like SMOKE had mention... I just beg to differ...
For the most part I have only seen the foilage that you talk of on very, very old trees.

As far as your acute observation of my travels, I will just let you in on a little secret... dude, I grew up with these things... we climbed, swam and played around them... both here and in Louisiana and yes I will admit I do not know everything there is to know about cypress, but like I have mention on the other forum... the Florida Bald Cypress, is far from the inferior plant that you claim it to be. In all actuallity, "some" of the best cypress bonsai come from Florida... note I did not say all, and yes there are others from other parts of the nation, that are right there with them.

I know you and your buddies think I am some how attacking you... let me just state for the record, I have never attacked you personally... I may have disaggreed with your statements, and I am sorry you have such thin skin... (I got that from SMOKE, see SMOKE, I am a quick learner), and have taken it personally. I have read alot of your posts here on the Bonsai Nut, not all, for you have been here a long time... and for the most part agreed with everything you have said, and even commented as so... But I also reserve the right to express my opinons as to what I think is BS, reguardless of who says it... You post was comming off as though Florida Bald Cypress were somehow inferior, and that is just crap... and I called it as such!!!

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Give it a rest man. You're the one that took what Rockm said about winter hardiness and his preference for foliage type way too personally, and responded in a pretty ridiculous fashion.

Reaction score
"The foliage is much better on the La. trees too. The foliage on Fla. trees is more awl-shaped, like pond cypress, although there do seem to be individual Fla-collected trees that have both..."

mcpesq817, I thought I would refresh your memory of what I actually diagreed with... which is crap, and absurd like I stated... Helps to read???

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read what you wrote, and aside from your bad attitude, it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

Reaction score
and your experience with florida cypress I am sure is extensive... my bad attitude that you are refering to, comes from the fact that I disagreed with someone, and you decided to tell me "THAT SOMEONE NEEDS TO RELAX..."

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it's clear from your response to Rockm that you're also very immature. There are a number of ways of disagreeing with people without calling what people said "crap." It is not all that inconceivable that trees growing different parts of the country may have different winter hardiness. It's also not all that inconceivable that trees in different areas have different foliage types, with some more preferred than others. I gave you a few shimpaku juniper examples, and Al gave you pine examples. What's the issue then?

Good luck to you - I'm done with this.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
A train wreck without me involved, what in the world is next...........:eek: This is why I stay in the bar, to much pettiness and ego bashing on this side....:D

Let me see if I can shed a little light on the subject:

COMMON NAMES :
baldcypress
pondcypress
cypress
white cypress
Gulf cypress
southern cypress
red cypress
swamp cypress
yellow cypress

TAXONOMY :
The currently accepted scientific name for baldcypress is Taxodium
distichum L. Rich. The species is divided into two commonly recognized
varieties that are differentiated by morphology, habitat, and distribution [34,56,59]:

Taxodium distichum var. distichum, baldcypress
Taxodium distichum var. imbricarium (Nuttall) Croom, pondcypress

Morphology: Pondcypress is less likely than baldcypress to have knees,
and when it does have them, they are shorter and more rounded. Its
fluted base tends to have rounded rather than sharp ridges and its bark
is usually more coarsely ridged. Its branches are more ascending than
those of baldcypress. Seedlings and fast-growing shoots of pondcypress,
however, are much like the typical variety of baldcypress. Despite the usual
differences in the two varieties, it is sometimes very difficult to
distinguish them [39,53].

Habitat: Pondcypress grows in shallow ponds and wet areas westward only to
southeastern Louisiana. It does not usually grow in rivers or stream
swamps. Baldcypress is more widespread and typical of the species. Its range
extends westward into Texas and northward into Illinois and Indiana [12,53].

The name "cypress" is used in this review when referring to both
varieties collectively.

Harry

Last edited:
Reaction score
despite our differences, and perhaps ways of handling it I would like to put it out there that I do respect and value every ones bonsai opinions here... yet we may not always agree, the reason why I joined in the first place was because you all know what you are doing, and judging from the photos of some of the work you all have done, you are good at what you do... the responses, and advice you all give is usually spot on, occasionally there are differences, that we may not all agree... I feel this is one of those times... I am willing to agree to disagree... and I take back all the insults I have cast... obviously in the Karaoke section it's all still fair game...

Not to Hijack this thread... but I have posted some Chinese Brush Paintings I have recently done, in the paintings forum and even though it sounds funny, I would actually love to hear your opinions... ROCKM, SMOKE, HARRY... hope to see you there... and if you are all still pissed at me, feel free to take it out on me there...
out of here

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
despite our differences, and perhaps ways of handling it I would like to put it out there that I do respect and value every ones bonsai opinions here... yet we may not always agree, the reason why I joined in the first place was because you all know what you are doing, and judging from the photos of some of the work you all have done, you are good at what you do... the responses, and advice you all give is usually spot on, occasionally there are differences, that we may not all agree... I feel this is one of those times... I am willing to agree to disagree... and I take back all the insults I have cast... obviously in the Karaoke section it's all still fair game...

Not to Hijack this thread... but I have posted some Chinese Brush Paintings I have recently done, in the paintings forum and even though it sounds funny, I would actually love to hear your opinions... ROCKM, SMOKE, HARRY... hope to see you there... and if you are all still pissed at me, feel free to take it out on me there...
out of here

It takes a pretty big man to type words like that. Bravo.

What a person like yourself has to realize is that this forum was here for years without the political rhetoric. Harry and I have thousands of posts. I had over 5000 at a forum before this one, with an unusualy large portfolio of work related to bonsai, tables and display.

My reputation on this forum has always been forged in the bonsai aspect of the forum and not so much my political leanings in the Bar. While there are some that may have lost some respect for me due to things that happen there, most know that how I conduct business there and how I conduct business on the bonsai side are two different things. Harry and I probably get a pass more often than not due to the body of work we have posted over many years.

Now the bar has attracted its share of people over the last year or two that go there for the specific reason to rattle Harries chain and to a lessor extent mine, et. al.

There are a few like Klytus and Fangorn, Harunobu and others that for the most part do not contribute to the bonsai part of the forum. Why they come here I have no idea. There are many political forums out there to argue with the whole world. For us long timers it is a place here to discuss with "freinds". While we don't always agree we can RESPECT each other because we have something in common....BONSAI. Thats not something I have in common with those I mentioned above.

You have mentioned a few times now you don't understand how a forum would condone such rhetoric... I hope now you may have a better understanding. First and formost this is a bonsai site, every now and then we vent about current events, read them, agree with them, disagree with them, but afford it's participants the respect they deserve. You can't come here and demand that kind of respect with 200 posts and 150 of them in the bar and expect to be taken seriously.

Me personaly, I don't very often start threads in the bar, I do post once and a while, and call someone out when they are being a jerk or out and out lying about events. I kinda do a vent and run. I do know...no minds are going to be changed there:D:D:D

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
It takes a pretty big man to type words like that. Bravo.

What a person like yourself has to realize is that this forum was here for years without the political rhetoric. Harry and I have thousands of posts. I had over 5000 at a forum before this one, with an unusualy large portfolio of work related to bonsai, tables and display.

My reputation on this forum has always been forged in the bonsai aspect of the forum and not so much my political leanings in the Bar. While there are some that may have lost some respect for me due to things that happen there, most know that how I conduct business there and how I conduct business on the bonsai side are two different things. Harry and I probably get a pass more often than not due to the body of work we have posted over many years.

Now the bar has attracted its share of people over the last year or two that go there for the specific reason to rattle Harries chain and to a lessor extent mine, et. al.

There are a few like Klytus and Fangorn, Harunobu and others that for the most part do not contribute to the bonsai part of the forum. Why they come here I have no idea. There are many political forums out there to argue with the whole world. For us long timers it is a place here to discuss with "freinds". While we don't always agree we can RESPECT each other because we have something in common....BONSAI. Thats not something I have in common with those I mentioned above.

You have mentioned a few times now you don't understand how a forum would condone such rhetoric... I hope now you may have a better understanding. First and formost this is a bonsai site, every now and then we vent about current events, read them, agree with them, disagree with them, but afford it's participants the respect they deserve. You can't come here and demand that kind of respect with 200 posts and 150 of them in the bar and expect to be taken seriously.

Me personaly, I don't very often start threads in the bar, I do post once and a while, and call someone out when they are being a jerk or out and out lying about events. I kinda do a vent and run. I do know...no minds are going to be changed there:D:D:D

This brought a tear to my eye, I'm going to try and be a better person from now on in the bar..................:D:D:D

Harry

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This brought a tear to my eye, I'm going to try and be a better person from now on in the bar..................:D:D:D

Harry

Me new here, me now scared of bar, me stay in happy Bonsai world!

Talking about BC, I have seen ones in kentucky and Ohio that are beautiful and look just like the ones I grew up around in Thonotosassa Fl. I assume , and I know the old addage about assume, that trees may be a lot like humans. I know for example that after a few years in Fl. its really hard to get acclimated to a northern winter, even a mild one. That said I have seen extremely cold winters in Florida, it snowed in tampa back around 75-76, 3 inches which actually closed down highway 75 and there was over three hundred accidents before it melted away by noon that day. The truckers were pissed, I remember on the CB radio hearing them complain how they had driven through 12 inches in Georgia to be closed down by 3 inches in Fl. lol. Just last winter we had many nights below freezing.
There used to be a Bald Cypress growing near Cincinnati Oh. which had a plaque on it that read Ohio's tallest bald cypress tree from the Ohio Division of Natural resources, this tree was 96 feet tall. It grew along a small drain stream and had the same knees as seen in Fl. trees that grow along the waterways. I think it was so tall as its base was down about ten feet near the stream edge and it had to compete with the canopy trees above to get to light. I guess they might need to be acclimated to a change in zones, and unlike human time, tree time may take a little longer. Hell I am 51 and I would be relatively young as a tree.

ed

Top Bottom