Balkan Beech #1

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing tree again Walter. Such a shame that you live 8hr drive away. I would love to spend some time in your garden and seeing how you make choices.

Can I ask you 2 question for this specific tree?

- I see that you have two very realistic fronts. One with a killer nebari. And one with the deadwood. I think you have choosen the latter as the primary front. Is that based on the position of the top of the tree (Top coming towards you)?
- There is a picture with loads of red lines. I take it this is a drawing made to choose what to do with branches in the crown. Would you tell me a little bit about the process? I am struggling with a beech myself that seems to have branching.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
True, I have chosen the front with the hole being the better one. This tree is in the Fairy Tale Bonsai Style. Not only the hole but also the position of branches and the fact that the top comes a were decisive.

The picture with the lines came from a forum where someone told me how bad my design was and how conflicting the lines were. He did not realize that this was work in progress. As one can see three years later the lines now are fine and the crown has become much smaller and clearer. Fact is that a few of the larger branches decided to die. I had a feeling that his would happen but did not know which ones. Now I know and I am glad to have spread the general styling process over five years.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I watched a video with this tree in it just before bedtime and wake to find it in your collection. I see you are already putting in to practice your own recommendations in your critique of the tree, ie removal of the lower branch & a wider pot. There's not a lot of quality teaching regarding getting beech to backbud so I was doing some research.

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Is this tree now a part of your collection? As i know it had some other owner few years ago ...
Anyway, really one of the best fagus sylvatica i have ever seen. Great part that you can choose from two fronts. If you get bored with one side, you can simply turn it around :)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It clearly is part of my collection since a few years. And it is a Balkan Beech, which is a subspecies of Fagus sylvatica. Some state that it is a rel species, Fagus moesica.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am a fan of your naturalistic styling Mr. Pall, Sir!
I will not repeat the above comments about the tree. Instead, I will concentrate on the beautiful complementing pot.

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Herr Pall,

Wonderful tree, thank you for sharing. This gives me the same feeling of the large, ancient Beech I see when hiking.

Did you do anything to stain or dye the deadwood? It has a very aged, natural look.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you fully defoliate every year Beech when they enter the refinement phase?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I

only defoliate them if they seem very vigorous. Often I pause for at least one year with beech.

Does this improve backbudding or is it primarily to strengthen inner buds? I need a method to get more buds to form close to the trunk on my Japanese Beech.

Top Bottom