baobab #2

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very impressive trunk. How long have you been growing it? Also Jason you look like David Locke the announcer for the Utah Jazz NBA team. Just a fun fact, I had to do a double take.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The canopy is growing great!
When you prune the tree, Do you leave a certain amount of nodes? Lately I have been experimenting with leaving 3 nodes to see how it affects the growth in the future.

Last edited:

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I need one of those to go with my ginkgo. I'm starting to get an infatuation with prehistoric trees 😃

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The canopy is growing great!
When you prune the tree, Do you leave a certain amount of nodes? Lately I have been experimenting with leaving 3 nodes to see how it affects the growth in the future.
not really kievn... they do tend to backbud nicely

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen Nigel from the bonsai zone eat leaves off his baobab.. have you ever made a salad with a branch you pruned off.. I normally eat the clovers in my growing pots and put them in salad so a baobab would become dinner too if I had one.. they look like cool trees in nature. And 20. Some years that impressive.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I've seen Nigel from the bonsai zone eat leaves off his baobab.. have you ever made a salad with a branch you pruned off.. I normally eat the clovers in my growing pots and put them in salad so a baobab would become dinner too if I had one.. they look like cool trees in nature. And 20. Some years that impressive.
everything on this remarkable tree is edible... the leaves are fresh and crispy, the tubers are crunchy and don't taste like much... the seeds are awesome to suck ( i believe the kids up in Africa suck the seeds like sweets)

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have read that everything was edible on the tree. So last year during one of the up-pots, I sampled everything.

I also consumed the fruit in Hawaii to collect my seeds. People walking by seemed to find it weird haha. I have sucked the seeds to remove the pulp. I just haven't consumed the seeds or extracted oil from them as of yet.

Anyways...the roots tasted like wet dirt (Not bad. Just not good) and the leaves taste pretty close to spinach. I have in fact made a salad or two when I de-foliate or heavily prune for the putting them in my grow tent.

Top Bottom