Baobab -- is this root rot?

hpwf

Seed
Reaction score
I'm a beginner so I have undoubtedly made a lot of mistakes here, but looking to learn! I have grown this baobab and it was doing really well but the last few weeks the leaves have begun looking like this. Reading around, I think it could be root rot? They didn't drop off in the winter and I'm thinking I may have it in the wrong place, but for the moment I really want to know what's happening here and what I can do to fix it?
Thanks for your help!

(Also I think this is the right place for this question, please let me know if it should be a different forum...)

Attachments

• 20220406_082122.jpg
    20220406_082122.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220406_082113.jpg
    20220406_082113.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 38

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

These must come in and out of coolishness, seem to remember a bunch of info from some years back.
Try searching "baobab", you may find some good info.

Sorce

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh dear, that’s not looking very happy 😬. Unfortunately I have never dealt with a baobab so I am not able to answer. BUT some of our resident South African members might have some insight!
@YukiShiro @Milly @SeanS @Stella @Snorlax99 and probably more that I don’t recall right now

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know there was someone in S.A with boababs and some massive jade plants but I can’t remember whooooo to link them in 😣😣😣

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@jason biggs has some nice baobabs and can maybe comment.

I had a couple of several different species for a few years. Last year was rough on them as we were prepping for a move and I wasn't paying them enough attention during a cool wet spring and most of them died of root rot. The rest I discarded to hopefully start again this spring in the new house.

The grow a fat storage root. If it is root rot...that fat root will turn to mush. Mine got very unstable in their pot because that fat tuber was mushy and there was nothing to hold the plant in place. Mine all got root rot while dormant/coming out of dormancy so I can't say for sure that what your leaves are showing is root rot. I tend to doubt it, though. They look a little more like tired old growth to me.

If you can add your grow zone and a nearby metro to your profile (click your avatar in the banner at the top to add) then we can see where you are and give better advice. If you are in the northern hemisphere I'd be tempted to say you kept it warm all winter and it's dumping old foliage. If you are in the southern hemisphere, it might be starting to go dormant.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a beginner so I have undoubtedly made a lot of mistakes here, but looking to learn! I have grown this baobab and it was doing really well but the last few weeks the leaves have begun looking like this. Reading around, I think it could be root rot? They didn't drop off in the winter and I'm thinking I may have it in the wrong place, but for the moment I really want to know what's happening here and what I can do to fix it?
Thanks for your help!

(Also I think this is the right place for this question, please let me know if it should be a different forum...)
Location, Location, Location!

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
it is alive .- always a good place to start :)...
it will never thrive indoors and your soil is waaay too wet...
baobabs like stony soil that drains well -make bigger holes in the pot for drainage,
maybe repot into a wider pot (we love using plastic tubs in S.A.)...
All the best

hpwf

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you all ! Much appreciated :) I am going to try repotting tonight.

I am in the UK so I worry about having it outside and it freezing overnight! What is it about having it outside that makes it thrive? I have kept it warm over winter, so I'm hoping it's just going dormant. I fully admit I had no idea Baobabs would be so hard -- I tried growing this on an impulse as I have always loved them and saw some seeds for sale. Up the learning curve we go...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all ! Much appreciated :) I am going to try repotting tonight.

I am in the UK so I worry about having it outside and it freezing overnight! What is it about having it outside that makes it thrive? I have kept it warm over winter, so I'm hoping it's just going dormant. I fully admit I had no idea Baobabs would be so hard -- I tried growing this on an impulse as I have always loved them and saw some seeds for sale. Up the learning curve we go...

Sun and warmth is what helps them thrive. They are succulents and not woody like a tree. Think "cactus". Their dormant period is during the dry season.

They are very susceptible to rot. Cool and wet = dead roots. I have a post here

about an interesting case on one of mine. That thread may also have other info of interest to you. Also use the search function and you'll find even more...or the bottom of the page of the thread you're viewing should contain links to similar threads.

Top Bottom