Barbados cherry losing leaves after 3 years of being fine - need basic help

Jo Anne

Seed
Reaction score
Greetings all, I'm looking for help for a Barbados weeping cherry that is suddenly NOT happy and losing its leaves. About 3 years ago I won a small Barbados cherry bonsai at a crafts fair. It is potted in what looks like regular soil by someone who is a Bonsai expert so I just followed the watering instructions and placed it in a south facing window, let it grow into a weeping cherry and otherwise left it alone.Its always inside. I have been using regular plant fertilizer with it. Its always an indoor plant. Its been fine, but no flowers or fruit until recently, when its suddenly losing its leaves. I think I let it dry out a bit too much once, but otherwise the care has been the same. Does anyone have suggestions to revise it? New fertilizer (if so what kind)? Re-potting it (if so, in what medium? More light (this room does get dark during the winter)? Any suggestions much appreciate. Thanks.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think I let it dry out a bit too much
That is probably why it is losing it's leaves. They do not like getting too dry. Please add your location to your profile so we know what climate you live in for the best advice. Mine do pretty well indoors for the winter under lights, but really enjoy their time outdoors once it's warm enough. You don't want to fertilize it if it's unhealthy, just watch your watering and don't let it dry out again. If you want lots of flowers and maybe some fruit, put it outside once night time temps are above 50 degrees in the spring. I would not repot it in the winter, especially since it is already losing leaves. Save that for summer when it is growing vigorously. A plant light would be beneficial while indoors. Hope this helps.

Jo Anne

Seed
Reaction score
That is probably why it is losing it's leaves. They do not like getting too dry. Please add your location to your profile so we know what climate you live in for the best advice. Mine do pretty well indoors for the winter under lights, but really enjoy their time outdoors once it's warm enough. You don't want to fertilize it if it's unhealthy, just watch your watering and don't let it dry out again. If you want lots of flowers and maybe some fruit, put it outside once night time temps are above 50 degrees in the spring. I would not repot it in the winter, especially since it is already losing leaves. Save that for summer when it is growing vigorously. A plant light would be beneficial while indoors. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I'm in Maryland near Baltimore, the leaves started to go when it started getting darker due to multiple days of gray skies in a 2nd floor room with not much light other than the window. Do you have any suggestions on reasonably priced, small grow lights? This Bonsai is on a shelf in a very small room with no overhead light. I could attach a swing arm grow light to the end of its book case, but it needs to not take up too much space and be something affordable.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
There are some small grow lights like you are talking about on Amazon that are very affordable that would probably be beneficial.

Top Bottom