Barbados Weeping Cherry

Haroldg

Seedling
Reaction score
My barbados weeping cherry has drooping leaves.
I think it's due to lack of sunlight but am not sure. I recently purchased a grow light for my other plants and wonder if it would help this.
I don't want to keep moving it and causing more stress.

Attachments

• cherry.jpg
    cherry.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 79

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That looks bad.

The leaves are dehydrated. Check the moisture in the soil using your finger. Don't use a moisture meter or other gadget, just stick your finger in the "dirt" at least as deep as the distal joint. Stick your finger in several different spots.

Wilted leaves means the roots are not moving water into the tree. This can happen when the soil is too dry, or when the roots have been damaged.

If the soil feels dry, either everywhere or in spots. Then your tree needs water. The way you need to water is to bring a sink, flood the pot with water, then allow to drain a few minutes, then flood the pot again, allow to drain, then return to the windowsill or the grow light set up.

If the soil feels moist, this means the root system is not functioning, usually a sign that a rot has destroyed the root system. This situation, when root system is no longer functioning, to the degree of wilt in your photo is usually fatal.

Often this situation comes from alternating between too dry followed by prolonged wet soil.

The trick with watering bonsai is to allow the soil to dry to "just barely moist", but not so dry that the leaves wilt. Then water, then allow the tree to approach dryness. If allowed to get too dry, the dry soil will damage the fine roots that absorb most of the moisture. Watering is best done by walking the tree to a sink, flooding the pots with water, allow drain, do it a second time just to be certain there are no "dry pockets" in the pot. Let drain, then return to the windowsill or lights set up.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Barbados cherry's are easy to keep, but they do not like to get too dry. Even inside I have to water mine every other day. Listen to @Leo in N E Illinois. They will take the occasional missed watering, but yours is looking pretty rough. How is it doing?

Haroldg

Seedling
Reaction score
I cant tell. Some leaves have fallen some have stated.
I found a deep saucer and put 1/2" of water in it. I then put plastic blocks in the bottom so the pot doesn't soak up water. And the pot on top
I then put a gallon ziploc bag over so I could increase the humidity.
I've also bought an led grow light and have that on ~8 hours

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
then put a gallon ziploc bag over so I could increase the humidity.

Welcome to Crazy!

Just take care of watering normally and you won't need to bag it, though it may end up looking so pretty....

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Leo, do you know, what about the sunlight for them?
For ME...(Not the “Leo” you were summoning, I know) their sunlight needs are fairly low... they go in the medium to low-light area of my grow area (during cold months)... But are still under lights...they are almost my “easiest to care for” plants...

I once fed a few established cuttings some high containing, slow-release nitrogen fertilizer.... all the leaves dried and fell off within a day... only one cutting SORT OF recovered....
Just giving you some more things to think about...

Like OL said, dried leaves mean no water is “catching the bus”.. just gotta find out why...

These plants wear themselves on their sleeves... how is it doing now?

🤓

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Leo, do you know, what about the sunlight for them?
While what the other leo said is true, they can grow in a range of different lighting, I give mine as much sun as possible. More sun, faster growth. But with that said they will still grow under medium light too. Best to give them as much as possible though

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
While what the other leo said is true, they can grow in a range of different lighting, I give mine as much sun as possible. More sun, faster growth. But with that said they will still grow under medium light too. Best to give them as much as possible though
Hehe., I have another couple “panels” in the mail.. essentially shifting that medium-low area to a medium-high area. .. so this works out perfectly! Thank you, friend!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Like Carol said, indoors, give Malpighia (Barbados cherry) as much light as you can. South window plus supplemental light is ideal. But they will survive shade, in shade they will grow much slower. Flowers and possibly even fruit require bright light.

Outdoors half day of sun is good enough, but they can take full sun outdoors. They really are an adaptable plant.

We are having a plethora of "Leo's" today.

Haroldg

Seedling
Reaction score
It's been about 3 weeks. I've had it raised in a water tray covered by a ziploc.

And this is what I've nursed it to. ( I think it looks better)
I removed the leaved with yellow spots

Attachments

• 20201227_125209.jpg
    20201227_125209.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 40

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's been about 3 weeks. I've had it raised in a water tray covered by a ziploc.

And this is what I've nursed it to. ( I think it looks better)
I removed the leaved with yellow spots
Better. Where do you live? Is your heat running alot in the house?

It looks to be a problem with dry air or soil. The new growth dries up like that when the air is too dry from constant heating/low humidity. They tolerate it, but will grow fastest in warm, humid, and very sunny spots. Kick up the humidity and it should do better.

Haroldg

Seedling
Reaction score
I had the pot raised in a tray full of water and then a ziploc bag over the top of them to increase humidity

Attachments

• 16091122572852066369819500908543.jpg
    16091122572852066369819500908543.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 34

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had the pot raised in a tray full of water and then a ziploc bag over the top of them to increase humidity
Is condensation building up in the bag? The bag should have prevented the new shoots from drying like that, unless they were desiccated before you started using the bag.

Hmmm, I'm torn. On one hand, if im feeling lazy I will root cuttings in a cup of water with a ziplock on top. But in the long run I'm not sure a bag over a rooted tree like that is a good idea. It might get you through winter. If you're home, you could also keep the bag off and mist a couple times a day. In any case, if it dies and you're in the continental US send me a message and I'll be happy to ship you another DBC or two.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is condensation building up in the bag? The bag should have prevented the new shoots from drying like that, unless they were desiccated before you started using the bag.

Hmmm, I'm torn. On one hand, if im feeling lazy I will root cuttings in a cup of water with a ziplock on top. But in the long run I'm not sure a bag over a rooted tree like that is a good idea. It might get you through winter. If you're home, you could also keep the bag off and mist a couple times a day. In any case, if it dies and you're in the continental US send me a message and I'll be happy to ship you another DBC or two.
Yes, I agree.. those leaves must have been like that prior... the “bagged environment” wouldn’t allow that..

Y’know, it’s funny.. i had some of these rooted in water, awaiting my substrate mix.. they appeared to be “doing alright”.. so I left ONE in water as an experiment.. and have been changing the water every five days.. and treating/feeding the water azomite and some smaller amounts of 2-5-1 (I think that’s the one ;) ) ... she’s still “cruisin’”

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I trimmed up a couple of my shaggy ones today and struck a bunch of cuttings. They seem to take rather easily.

Haroldg

Seedling
Reaction score
Its got green leaves so I am hoping that it'll make it. It perked up some but there is no new growth and I'm just hoping that the leaf loss was due to the original problem.

Someone suggested the bag over to try increase the humidity.

Top Bottom