Barberry Literati

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this barberry last spring and this past week decided to make this multi-trunk into a literati. I chopped a couple trunks and thinned it out and potted it in a Chuck Iker pot.

Attachments

• barberry1_4_6_11a.jpg
    barberry1_4_6_11a.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 163
  • barberry1_4_6_11b.jpg
    barberry1_4_6_11b.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 137
  • barberry1_4_6_11c.jpg
    barberry1_4_6_11c.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 126
  • barberry1_4_6_11d.jpg
    barberry1_4_6_11d.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 111
  • barberry1_4_6_11e.jpg
    barberry1_4_6_11e.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 130

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet piece of material.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start. Keep us updated :)

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Daudelus. I'm not quite sure of the front yet. I might pull the apex down slightly with a guy wire, let things grow, and go from there. The wood is really soft and punky on barberries and not sure how it takes to a lot of carving without it simply dieing back more.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
That's bold, I don't think I've ever seen a literari barberry, I would have been too tempted to just keep the fatty at the bottom.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one's getting there as well. A little slower probably because I reduced the rootball considerably and is touchier with it's watering needs. Photos to follow soon, hopefully this weekend.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good reason for the round pot on this one with what looks like more than one frontal choice. John I think this isn't the first of Matts bold decisions, he does tend to be different, in a good way of course.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello mholt.. I like this tree very much.. If I may.. In my opinion.. I probably would not do too much, if any carving.. I like the natural look of the tree and the bark.. It is simple, tranquil and looks untouched by human hands at this point.

Also, have you thought about swinging one of those branches down so it swoops down the trunk, so to speak. Either way, there seems to be many good options here..

Rob

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob, sorry for my late reply...been a busy holiday weekend and for some reason your post wasn't sent to my inbox. I will take a look at the tree this week in more depth and see what potential it has. I kind of ignored it a bit while it recovers and letting it grow before any other decisions are made. In regard to carving...I wouldn't do any decorative carving just carving to eliminate some of the trunk and branch stubs.

MattB, sorry, no pics yet. This week. Really not a whole lot to show so far in growth just a bunch of vertical shoots.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today's pics

Finally took some pics today. Not much in regard to impressive growth. Nothing has been touched on top.

Attachments

• barberry1_6_24_11a.jpg
    barberry1_6_24_11a.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 54
  • barberry1_6_24_11b.jpg
    barberry1_6_24_11b.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 41
  • barberry1_6_24_11c.jpg
    barberry1_6_24_11c.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 43

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Makes a convincing literati, I too would love to see some pics with the fresh reddish foliage how's about an update pic?

ed

Top Bottom