Bare rooted white pine grew mycorrhiza in 11 days?

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Bonsai Fam,

So I received some bare rooted white pines on Feb 19 and today(11 days later) I notice a white fuzz on one of the pines lava rocks. So after reading Michael Hagedorn post regarding root aphid I had to investigate.

Michael Hagedorn article: https://crataegus.com/2023/02/10/whats-a-root-aphid-and-whats-mychorrizae/

I brought the tree into the house to look at it using a microscope. To me it looks like Mycorrhiza but thought it would be great to share and get some other peoples opinions.

History of the tree from time left Japan till now:
• Imported from Japan
• Trees treated and sprayed with anti fungicide and pest
• Received the tree Feb 19 bare rooted in spagmoss
• made a Rhizotonic bath for the root and left tree for 30 min
• Dusted and added in the soil "mycorrhizal Correct Planting Routine"
• Potted the tree using boon mix 1-1-1 (Pumice, Akadama, and Lava
• For the 11 days it was misted 5 times a day for 10 sec and on a moisture heated(65f) tray.
• Room temperature stays above 45-50f and humidity between 78-89%

I also did the same looked at 2 other small trees I imported and repotted the same day to make sure it was not only one tree with this whit fuzz.

The trees look healthy so far but too early to tell. I included some pictures from the microscope. I can not upload video here so I added it on my site so you can view the video from the microscope.

Attachments

• whitepine_1main.png
    whitepine_1main.png
    263.1 KB · Views: 42
  • whitepine_1.png
    whitepine_1.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 43
  • whitepine_1a.jpg
    whitepine_1a.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 41
  • whitepine_1b.jpg
    whitepine_1b.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 40
  • whitepine_1c.jpg
    whitepine_1c.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 37
  • whitepine_2.jpg
    whitepine_2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 34
  • whitepine_2a.jpg
    whitepine_2a.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 34
  • whitepine_3a.jpg
    whitepine_3a.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 32
  • whitepine_3ab.jpg
    whitepine_3ab.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 44

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those look like hyphen to me. wether they are Mycorrhiza is a different question I think nobody can confirm that from images. It could be an opportunistic fungus that is claiming the available real estate due to a lack of competition. In time this should balance out but I have seen trees where the fungal growth was so strong that I had my doubts wether this was a good thing, not saying you tree will go in that direction. Also I thought most fungicide treatments would impede beneficial fungal establishment. As beneficial organisms in general are more sensitive to pesticides than harmful ones.

Top Bottom