Bargain Basement Buy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I picked up this Star Jasmine from the clearance rack at Lowes for $1.50. It was two separate plants. I separated them, pruned the branches and roots a bit, then put them into some grow pots. Does anyone know if the leaves will reduce? Not sure if they will ever become bonsai material, but I hear the flowers have a lovely fragrance. Any advice would be welcome, they'll probably have to come indoors in the next 3-4 weeks. STAR JASMINE 2.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are some spectacular examples of star jasmine shown in Japan. Leaves will reduce with increased ramification. In Japan they dig up and use 50 to 100 years old trunks from their garden landscapes. They are very slow to form a trunk of any significant diameter. Otherwise a beautiful flower vine for bonsai.

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I bought four at Lowe's just as the flowers were fading $1 each). I have low expectations and high hopes. They all seem to be multiple plants in each pot. I brought the one I really like inside just before we had our 25F night. The ones left outside still look happy.

Edit: The flowers smell exquisite.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple of these. @Leo in N E Illinois is right they are slow growers but I really like mine. I do not know if this is normal but they kind of grow in a spiral. When I get home from work I will upload a picture. Beautiful flowers!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Will they fuse?

I don't know, I assume they will, I have never tried it. Doing a ''fusion bonsai'' with star jasmine might be a good way to relatively quickly get a real trunk. It may be worth a try. Root a bunch of cuttings to give it a go.

Xtreemjedi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't have advise on these as bonsai, but bury it by the mailbox, along a fence, outside the kitchen window, oooh yes. They smell so lovely! They can grow into a pretty substantial bush and are very pretty too.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I don't have advise on these as bonsai, but bury it by the mailbox, along a fence, outside the kitchen window, oooh yes. They smell so lovely! They can grow into a pretty substantial bush and are very pretty too.
From what I've read, they are hardy in zones 8-10, I'm in 6a. I don't think they would make it through the winter outside. But they are doing fine inside at the moment.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have them all over my landscape. When they flower they are the best-smelling thing in the neighborhood. They will grow as a viney ground cover unless you train them up, but once trained they have a woody stem that will retain the shape. They remind me a lot of a climbing fig. I can't say that I have ever gotten the leaves to reduce, but I have never tried defoliating or root restriction. I have some pretty big ones - ie one that is approx 4'x6' - and the leaves seem to be the same (for me) whether large or small plant.

If you want to get interesting character, just plant them in front of your garden hose spigot, and then let your gardeners tromp all over them for 20 years :) I have some gnarly twisted trunks on the ones in the front of my house :)

Xtreemjedi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
From what I've read, they are hardy in zones 8-10, I'm in 6a. I don't think they would make it through the winter outside. But they are doing fine inside at the moment.
Yeah down here they thrive, sorry, didn't see where you are located. If you move here you can put them on the mailbox, fence, by the window, lol.

Xtreemjedi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wish. Especially with winter approaching.....

I'm gonna post this pic from 2 mins ago and make everybody jealous lol
JUaYPrrptBaQUbKHEB_mlzikH7at_hi6PEetRqAIkuZ_sCgdem9m5tsWHcxrusYElWQkTQ3a8bRrrEfkwCSRTkYVigWA3X3P-fBamKeUUJqqNLIYzKyF4REWjXCx22xRmbDX50pyhy4eUWA_4ANtO2gsyhCBJyI9hGzfUJFdQqgfLhG0F3u13lBlNyH7k1SRLKa9P9WJzqp04JAFIZMmx_if-vs5J-xAIsBEOvuGUJWrZ4Rkd3GO4Gp2apHxC8WOuaO9YHkZ8LGOA9E7Lg_H2FZgCT_w6SIXQQZqWBnsypjlm98nQRutrt6RslJQKByhfEcUKIkuYpCCIZOYo7HeSsKTY5RaAZLhcJafgeBwXSiAQDhC5pleoXiN6JcfayKetiS9E1ug2xWxduqwvL_E0DR8L_d5mFf8cocPIrg1lkCStsLtpfwKSg06ZVoHEa1Q8ZoX4di9zTx_2RYsCpwqEolgfDX6yd8oQZzyHhpofc-aTeklID7JUJ8ts3TDtR8D9q8Jyzc2Mv9_cypvByNZjzny2Q60Jq-4KNLsORK-PCQgqWhIuMfbsxILOFtFZVSzozIv1J4CKGTa5PjY0Kg7q5Lpw2mKNdbfihCcFgZ01C5gudx2OWRSptWta1fTi5sGX5vgsVmLhpRZKTLrjVcvcwv0m2TClUleTKM_F4GpODcB=w528-h938-no

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Wouldn't use this as bonsai unless you want to spend the next 10-15 years getting a trunk then start branches n such. BUT they make great garden material. I like to put them close to my tree's so when I water or walk around I get good smells

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wouldn't use this as bonsai unless you want to spend the next 10-15 years getting a trunk then start branches n such. BUT they make great garden material. I like to put them close to my tree's so when I water or walk around I get good smells
I don't expect anything much from it, but the flowers do smell wonderful. It wouldn't be hardy here in the ground.

Top Bottom