Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just recently purchased this Stricta for 49kr (5usd?), and it is my first 'proper' foray into bonsai (I have a green carpet juniper I have only repotted and a ginseng ficus). I made a training pot for it, but will wait for spring to transfer. And I will clear the soil that is currently covering the roots at that time as well. I did some pruning, but I will be honest that I was not entirely sure what I am doing. I do think I know what I will style, but it is difficult to know just how much to prune? There are few branches I will like to use to sacrifice for stronger trunk. How do I keep the top minimal to have growth for sacrifice branches? Is pinching very bad for this juniper?

So I pruned very little.

Thoughts at the moment; bring the two middle leaders together (I wired them together already), cascade the third leader to the side, sacrifice the two low branches.

Suggestions?

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its a start take it slow reducing the green further specialy if you are not sure yet what direction to go with it to keep all options open for now.

I wouldnt pull those two leaders together they are two straight trunks and eventualy you want to give them some movement.
To help getting the light go more into the interior you could pull the trunks away from eachother it wil also help creating some sight into the inner parts if the bush!

Next step would be repotting or at least to find out whats under the first few inches of soil do the trunks emerge from one base or are they growing up from the roots?
based on that decide a way to style the tree

looking at my two stricta's i guess they come from one base

I got two of them and i too found it hard to figure out a way to go with the multiple trunkd and loads of branches and foliage

As promised heres my candelabra styled one:
This is how i started
https://bonsainut.com/threads/panama-red-pot-challenge-styled-finishes.26367/#post-429037

This is the update from june
https://bonsainut.com/threads/my-redpot-contestent.27911/#post-461121

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do think I know what I will style, but it is difficult to know just how much to prune? There are few branches I will like to use to sacrifice for stronger trunk. How do I keep the top minimal to have growth for sacrifice branches? Is pinching very bad for this juniper?

So I pruned very little.

It is possible to dramatically shorten junipers like this. I did this with my juniper 'Arlene'. Aside from some patience, one just needs to be careful to keep foliage on the stems that are desired.

Since you want to thicken one of the trunks, you want to keep the apical foliage on that trunk and only the lower branches on it that you will may want to have in the future (it is very difficult/impossible to regrow juniper branches). Remove the foliage on it at the intermediate heights, so that the rest of your tree isn't shaded. I would also shorten the other trunks/stems, down to a level below the final height you will might want, but again, you must keep foliage on them.

At any rate, the key point for thickening a trunk is to let that trunk grow rampantly - the more foliage it has, the faster it will thicken. However, that foliage cannot be allowed to shade out the other foliage you want to keep. So, the sacrifice tends to look like a long stick with a ball of foliage on the end.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You didn't remove too much !

Well done!

I dig the idea of two straight trunks.

Just remember you want them differing thicknesses and proportionate heights.

On its way!

Sorce

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldnt pull those two leaders together they are two straight trunks and eventualy you want to give them some movement.
To help getting the light go more into the interior you could pull the trunks away from eachother it wil also help creating some sight into the inner parts if the bush!

Thank you so much for the links! I very very much like the styling.
This is the style I was thinking to go.
gomangoku2012-53.jpg
But I suppose I will not really know what is best until I clear the roots? Spring is so far away. ;)

It is possible to dramatically shorten junipers like this. I did this with my juniper 'Arlene'. Aside from some patience, one just needs to be careful to keep foliage on the stems that are desired.

Arlene looks marvelous! Do you then just cut the ends of the branch? I think this is the biggest confusion for me, I do not quite understand how there is growth on the end of a trimmed branch to create the 'cloud' look. Definitely will like to have a more rounded tree, and not as pointed as it is at the moment.

And do you think it is safe to prune the sacrifice branches now, and wire them out of the way?

You didn't remove too much !

Well done!

I dig the idea of two straight trunks.

Just remember you want them differing thicknesses and proportionate heights.

On its way!

Sorce

Thank you, Sorce! I will like at least a little taper for the two leaders, though I am sure it will take a long time.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes what you will find below the soil will help you envision what trunks to keep and what not

And yes spring gonna be some waiting time but it gives you time to read up on things so you are ready when spring comes!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you then just cut the ends of the branch? I think this is the biggest confusion for me, I do not quite understand how there is growth on the end of a trimmed branch to create the 'cloud' look. Definitely will like to have a more rounded tree, and not as pointed as it is at the moment.

And do you think it is safe to prune the sacrifice branches now, and wire them out of the way?
As you trace the 'trunk' upward from the ground, you will see that the foliage hangs on thinner, short branches. You can shorten this 'trunk' by simply cutting the heavy stem above, keeping the branch with foliage. Then wire the low branches so the foliage will get light and in an attractive position. You can do this now if you like.

Conversely, with the stem you want to thicken, you would remove any foliage branches above the level of the rest of your design and wire it to position the pom-pom of foliage at the top so it won't shade the rest of the tree below. You could also do this now, if you want. Likewise, you can wire other stems to place them where you prefer, now. The tree is basically dormant, so the bark is firmly attached and won't slip off or be easily damaged by wiring.

Your tree looks to be quite healthy, so I see no reason for you to be in a hurry to repot it. I would do this work (shortening) and focus on developing the low foliage during this coming year. If all goes well, I think you might repot it in 2019 - I prefer doing this sometime in August, though most people will tell you spring 'as buds swell'.

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so so much for the advise! Absolutely brilliant. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the style I was thinking to go.

A good vision!

You can impart that style...

AND

Keep all those low branches on for years.

Something tells me you will do well!

Sorce

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! Certainly hope I do well. I have been interested in bonsai for a long time, but had not been in one place long enough to start.. Now I can. :)

Syltis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Still alive! It has grown a little bit, but I have done very little with it. At the moment I am just letting it grow until it thickens up a bit. :)

Hi! This was a great thread. How is your juniper doing now?
I bought and repotted one just like yours as my first tree in training. It has a single trunk though.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Top Bottom