bark being stripped over wintering in CT

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
I have been wintering my bonsai in Connecticut in an outdoor area protected area by wind on wind side by plywood but open on other sides/top with wooden lattice and place the pots on the ground for 30 years without incident. The top is covered with lattice also so snow can fall through and cover trees. Two years ago, all my young maples and established elm had their barks stripped by some sort of animal resulting in death of the tree..pines/larches/redwoods were untouched. Last winter, I put them in my open unheated breezeway (screens only) and if it snowed I shoveled snow onto the trees and if no snow a bit of water maybe every other week . Alas, young plants were not eaten but did not survive the winter. I am at a loss. I again have some new maples and elms and would appreciate any advice/suggestions as to what else to try. I have read here to maybe go back to the outdoor lattice setting but wrap the trunks in copper mesh and make sure not to put out off benches until December but others say chipmunks will just chew through this copper. I have a small dog so putting any type of poison is not an option. Thank you in advance for any help.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, mice will be mice.
If you look in the archives you will find loads of advice.
You have to devise a way to keep mice from your plants, I use hardware cloth, 1/4 inch. I also use peppermint oil to deter visitors. And coyote / fox urine granules (Amazon) is an excellent repellent.

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you..I am new here and cannot seem to find the "archives" section you mention. A bit more direction please?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you..I am new here and cannot seem to find the "archives" section you mention. A bit more direction please?
Look in the upper right hand corner and hit search. Put in your concern and see what pops up. I just put in rodent control and 15 posts mentioning rodents (primarily mice) popped up.

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
Got is thanks--thought it was a tab somewhere I missed..lots of reading to do.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
one of the threads you might come across is one I started where I specifically mention my maples and elms getting blasted. Those two genus seem to be a magnet

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
one of the threads you might come across is one I started where I specifically mention my maples and elms getting blasted. Those two genus seem to be a magnet
I remember that one well. Maples and elms are loaded with sugar.

Reactions: GGB
Top Bottom