Bark Grafting - bonsai Blake

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was reading the "V notching made easy" thread and bonsaiBlake posted a question in there about bark grafting, which never occurred to me before.

Has anybody tried this method to cover a wound, or add older, more interesting bark, to their tree?

bonsaiBlake?
CW

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
Hans van meer claimed this technique for himself.
He calls it the "van meer technique."
I think many tried this technique before he slapped his name on it, so van meer it is now called.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just to be clear, I am asking about taking pieces of bark from one part of a tree and grafting them elsewhere. I only mention this because a google search of bark grafting brings up another method where scions are slipped under the bark.

Thanks wlambeth, I'll look for that vanmeer.

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
Basically the van meer technique uses the bark surrounding a cut off branch and folding the flaps over the cut away wood.
I think this is similar to what you are asking.
I have tried it with no luck.
I haven't seen any followup by van meer to know if this technique works long term.
Un-scientifically, it did not work for me.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well I have heard of people taking a ring of bark off an Orange tree, and put it back on upside down to get the tree to produce early. It reattatches but it eventually kills the tree. "Bark inversion".

So it may be possible for it to work but it most likely weakens the tree considerably.

Top Bottom