Bark in your soil mix..

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have been using bark in my Bonsai soil mix , trouble was that even Orchid bark is too large. Well , I went out today and bought myself a coffee and herb grinder (6oz capacity ) This cost £17 from Argos. It is made of stainless steel , except for the cover. This was just what I wanted , and is just perfect for the bark. In a few seconds it was down to powder. So I managed to get a perfect size ( about 3 seconds ). But you can make your minds up on size. You don't want it too small as it could cause blocking of the drainage hole. And as long as its dry the results are ideal .

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Orchid seedling bark is a perfect size. About 1 cm. Same as pumice and cinder in my mix.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Glad it worked for you. Ready-made bonsai soil is fairly expensive, so anything you can do yourself helps. I've been using Hapi-Gro. 100% organic compost from Lowes. It sieves out to about 60% of the particle size I use. The fines and larger pieces go in the vegetable garden.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Yes , it seems to work quite well. Along with Lava , Akadama , Pumice and Kyodama at the bottom.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We just use sifted compost, that has been kept
just moist in a covered barrel for about a year.
Weed seed will germinate and die in the dark.

No need to grind and we are lazy.:D
Good Day
Anthony

* Beware using ingredients that roots can crush or
be prepared to bare root x- years down the road.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm going to try beech flakes next year. They're sold in +/-140L bags for a little less than 20 euros. They come in sizes 3-6mm and 1-1.5cm.
I have used them in the past, and I really don't know why I never did that again. Good food for fungi.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hydroponics ------- yummy.
Any studies on lumber - plant internals.
Just curious.
Or are these just plants and not children of love.

Top Bottom