Basic Air Layering Q

fore

Omono
Reaction score
My air layers I did in the spring did great on the JM. I made the chop last week as their were tons of roots and planted them in 2 gal. pots. But since you have a repot scenario in the late summer, they won't have a lot of time to get fully established for me to bury the pots and mulch them over for winter. So should I just plan to protect them from the frosts and snow of winter or will they survive if I bury them?

The red maple air layers aren't doing so well. I don't even see any new roots yet but the branches are thriving. So I'm going to have to leave the air layers on even longer and prob. due a late fall chop and pot (if I get roots at all that is). So the same issue arises, winter protection?

(Thanks. This is my first air layers and I've been enthralled watching the new roots grow. It's one thing to read about it, and see pictures, its another thing to actually witness it. Very very cool!)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see a section that deals with layering. Admin, can you move this to that section?

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm not sure why you are repotting the JM. The less disturbance to the roots you can provide, the better he layer and new roots will do.

I'd leave the red maple air layer in place. If there's room, simply wrap a towel around it several times as insulation.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Let me clarify, I didn't repot the mother JM, only the completed air layered JM's.

And Thanks for the advice on the red maples. Good to know I can give it more time.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Let me clarify, I didn't repot the mother JM, only the completed air layered JM's.

Maybe I need even more clarification. The procedure was: creat air layer. Let lots of root form. Seperate air layer and plant. REPOT air layer. Yes? No?

If Yes, it is why you didn't just leave the layer in its first pot, rathe thah messing with it again.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I really need to watch my wording lol You are right jkl, I will be exact this time...hopefully ;)

I did the air layer in may, separated and planted them last week in the 2 gal containers. So no, no "repot" per say, hence why I said "repot scenario". I should've said "But since I'm planting them in the late summer, they won't have a lot of time to get fully established for me to bury the pots and mulch them over for winter. So should I just plan to protect them from the frosts and snow of winter or will they survive if I bury them?"

Sorry for the confusion jkl!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well, I'm no expert on Chicago winters -- all I know is that I never want to experience one! -- but roots grow in the late summer and fall so you have at least a couple of months for expanded root growth. Fertilize weekly with K and P. As winter approaches, test the stability of the plant in the pot. If stable, there are many roots and you probably would be safe in a heavy mulch (so long as rodents can't get at the plants).

I'm open for total correction on winter care from those of you who have nasty winters ('twas nasty enough for me here, last year).

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
That's good news jkl! Funny, your the second person to warn against rodents. I have an old hose that I'm going to cut to length to cover the trunk and get it in place by slicing the hose so it'll just slip on. Hopefully that'll do it.

You guys did have a tough winter last yr for NC. Wonder if it's going to repeat? I hope not for your sakes ;)

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey fore,

Congratulations on your air layers. Do you have any picture to show? I recently purchased a korean hornbeam tree that I was planning to air layer in early spring 2012. The tree is about 8' tall. I don't know that I want to try this for the first time on a KH. I may just leave it. However, thanks to your post, now I know that I may get some root formation by August of 2012 if I decide to go ahead with it. I do see your concerns with not having enough root for the coming winter though.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
No pics of the completed air layer per se, but I can shoot pics of the two new plants. I can shoot a pic of the red maples air layer if interested, but it's like you see all over the net...the bag wrapped around sphagnum moss.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey fore,

Congratulations on your air layers. Do you have any picture to show? I recently purchased a korean hornbeam tree that I was planning to air layer in early spring 2012. The tree is about 8' tall. I don't know that I want to try this for the first time on a KH. I may just leave it. However, thanks to your post, now I know that I may get some root formation by August of 2012 if I decide to go ahead with it. I do see your concerns with not having enough root for the coming winter though.

I have a twin trunk Hornbeam I'm planning on layering next year. I'm planning on layering one trunk as a shohin and chopping the rest off making the tree a single trunk. I dont like it the way it is now and dont think it has as good a future with two trunks. Check out this shohin sumo style KH http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/images/mario_jano/carpinus_turczaninovi_shohin_18_antique_chinese_.JPG

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Wow Mike! That's one hell of a trunk! Beautiful! Good luck with you air layer next yr.

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a twin trunk Hornbeam I'm planning on layering next year. I'm planning on layering one trunk as a shohin and chopping the rest off making the tree a single trunk. I dont like it the way it is now and dont think it has as good a future with two trunks. Check out this shohin sumo style KH http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/images/mario_jano/carpinus_turczaninovi_shohin_18_antique_chinese_.JPG[/QUOTE]

Keep me posted on your project for next year. I may just do it. Wow, that KH is a monster! Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom