Basic RoR question about trunk thickness

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When planning a RoR do you choose a tree with a trunk at the appropriate thickness already? I'm assuming you wouldn't expect much growth in trunk thickness after you start training.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When planning a RoR do you choose a tree with a trunk at the appropriate thickness already? I'm assuming you wouldn't expect much growth in trunk thickness after you start training.
No. Usually, you're placing seedlings- typically 2-3 years old- on the rock and growing out the tree from there.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, ok. I would have thought that the stress of uncovering the roots over time would really slow down the growth. But maybe it does and that is why RoR are hard to do....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmm, ok. I would have thought that the stress of uncovering the roots over time would really slow down the growth. But maybe it does and that is why RoR are hard to do....
Eventually you have developed roots below the rock that feed the tree. The ones clinging to the tree are great. But there are much more under the substrate. ;) Or at least that is what one is attempting to accomplish among having the roots form against the rock.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you are talking conifers you have to go with young trees.
But for deciduous trees the stress isn't the problem but having flexible roots and letting them grasp on to the rock while growing out is more of the issue

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are talking conifers you have to go with young trees.
But for deciduous trees the stress isn't the problem but having flexible roots and letting them grasp on to the rock while growing out is more of the issue

I was thinking deciduous trees, but that really makes sense. I appreciate it!

Top Bottom