Bay Area Fire Sale (Redwood City)

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm moving to a cold weather state! So I'm dumping the vast majority of my collection, which I'm almost giving away. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Maples:
a few airlayered coral bark Japanese maples ($5 each)
a 7-ft osakazuki JM ($30--the sapling was $50!)
A rare evergreen maple (acer paxii) sapling (free)

Elms:
15-ft 'Princeton' American elm ($20 (it was $100))
8-ft American elm ($20 (it was $100))
Airlayered American elm ($5)
a 5-ft zelkova ($10)

Wisteria:
A potted wisteria vine ($10)
A rare Kentucky wisteria in a bonsai pot ($20 for the pot--the plant is free!)

Willows:
a million curly willows. $5 each if you want the pots.
a few weeping willows. $1.
birch saplings ($1)

Other:
double trunk olive in a bonsai pot ($20)
2-ft European hornbeam prebonsai ($10)
5-ft cork bark oak (q. suber) ($10)
10-ft tipu tree ($10)
A Wigert's Brazilian rain tree ($50)
two 7-ft hybrid devil's hand trees ($20 each)
1-2 ft Bailey acacia saplings (free)

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty close and would be interested in seeing pics, or stopping by. In particular: elms, wisteria, olive, Q suber, hornbeam

Last edited:

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m interested in the coral bark maples if you can ship them

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can we ask where you're moving, or do we need to wait for the surprise of an updated profile?

It's Maine, isn't it? ;)
Buy a premium patreon subscription and you'll get one hint per week.

j/k I'm moving to the Washington, DC, area (zone 7B--yikes!!! :)

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buy a premium patreon subscription and you'll get one hint per week.

j/k I'm moving to the Washington, DC, area (zone 7B--yikes!!! :)

I've moved several times to different climate zones and I think you're approaching it correctly. Pare down your collection to only the trees that speak to you. The rest can be replaced. Focus on trees that will do well at your destination. I usually pared down to 10 - 20 trees to move, and even that was a challenge. When I broke these rules (trying to baby a tree in the wrong climate zone) I eventually regretted it.

Good luck!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thats a long move! And remember Redwood city’s weather was “Voted best, by Government test!”

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've moved several times to different climate zones and I think you're approaching it correctly. Pare down your collection to only the trees that speak to you. The rest can be replaced. Focus on trees that will do well at your destination. I usually pared down to 10 - 20 trees to move, and even that was a challenge. When I broke these rules (trying to baby a tree in the wrong climate zone) I eventually regretted it.

Good luck!
It's always wonderful to hear that I'm doing everything right. Got any other compliments?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Now, if I were moving to Washington, DC zone 7B my thread would be titled "Moving to a Warm Weather State."
USDA zones can be highly misleading. The interesting thing about our 10a designation is that the area of Redwood City I live in is, by and large, pretty cold! It's 10a because it never gets below 40, but most nights, even in the summer, are very chilly.

So I'm looking forward to the warmer summer nights in VA despite it being in a colder USDA zone.

The Kentucky wisteria I mentioned above is an interesting species because it refuses to leaf out until the night time temps are above 50F . And with our cold nights, that's happening just now. Literally months after my Chinese wisteria leafed out.

Bonsai72

Seedling
Reaction score
I don’t live to far. Anyway you can send me a pic of the cork oak to matthew@bonchibonsai. Thank you. I’m also from DC, let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for letting me come by. I took four trees - cork oak, twin trunk olive, one of the coral bark maples and the hornbeam.

For anyone else thinking about buying I want to note that I was surprised by how big the trunks were, given the prices that were quoted by the OP! I was expecting thumb-thick trunks but got much, much thicker. Honestly, I had to convince him to take more money so I wouldn't feel guilty.

Top Bottom