Bay Island Bonsai Exhibit 2010

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excuse me, but I know of one that doesn't, does it matter who really works on the trees, is it an ego thing. I thought it was about the trees, not who was responsible for the ownership, styling and maintance. If that is the bottom line, responsible for the results of your own trees, then I am in the wrong hobby. Can you compete with Boon, I couldn't without help.

keep it green,
Harry

Harry,
You seem to suffer under some kind of misapprehension. This is not a professional show with trees from all over. These are trees of club members, all of whom are required to take 9 half-day workshops per year just to stay in the club. Members are either required or encouraged (not sure exactly which) to keep two show-ready trees at all times. I think it becomes a requirement when members reach a certain level with their trees. That would necessitate them doing the actual work under Boon's guidance. Boon's trees in the exhibit are never judged. I don't know who you are talking about, but you should probably know the flavor of the Jello before you dive in.

Edit: That's not to say that Marco or Akio hasn't wired some of these trees from time to time.

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Post #13

Al/Others – Question on post #13 - the first photo.
I know that my eyes are going (among other things) but to me it appears that the display stand is too large (height and width) for the pot/tree combo? I’m not trying to start any flame war …just want to learn more on the fundamentals of displaying trees. I would appreciate thoughts/comments on this.
Cheers G

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,
You seem to suffer under some kind of misapprehension. This is not a professional show with trees from all over. These are trees of club members, all of whom are required to take 9 half-day workshops per year just to stay in the club. Members are either required or encouraged (not sure exactly which) to keep two show-ready trees at all times. I think it becomes a requirement when members reach a certain level with their trees. That would necessitate them doing the actual work under Boon's guidance. Boon's trees in the exhibit are never judged. I don't know who you are talking about, but you should probably know the flavor of the Jello before you dive in.

Edit: That's not to say that Marco or Akio hasn't wired some of these trees from time to time.

I'm not here to argue with you guys, I'm sure it was a fine show and you enjoyed yourselves.

keep it green,
Harry

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Harry,
you are a good support person in bonsai. I thank you.
I grow bonsai because I love trees. and making it look nice and somewhat natural is part of the art. When it reaches a certain point, we show it. The process is challenging and fun. I am glad you like our trees. I tach members to work on their trees. Several members work by themselves. Some hire me and other pro to work on their trees. We have combination of all levels of work. And we try to keep higher standard. It is fun to keep improving.
I also exhibit my private clients trees.
This is what we do.
Every one has different point of view on politics and religious. I try to do my best to keep those view points out. We just have a good time keeping out trees healthy and beautiful.
Thanks again for being bonsai friend.
Boon

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Al/Others – Question on post #13 - the first photo.
I know that my eyes are going (among other things) but to me it appears that the display stand is too large (height and width) for the pot/tree combo? I’m not trying to start any flame war …just want to learn more on the fundamentals of displaying trees. I would appreciate thoughts/comments on this.
Cheers G

Hi G
first let me explain a little about display. The standard size that we use is 6 foot (180 cm) space per display. Different sizes trees are dis played differently.
Shohin -2"-8" we use tiers stand or box stand.
Medium size-8-18" - 3 points display. It includes one main tree + +(secondary tree or scroll or suiseki or figurine+ accent plants.
Large tree - over 18" we use main tree plus accent
plants. For fun, sometimes we use 8 ft space and do 3 point display

The logic of display represent the way they grow in nature. Juniper is high
mountain tree. It is placed on taller stand and the
others are on lower area.

I used to see the display the same way you see it. Until I went to japan and study, it brodened my vision.

Oop have to get on the plane

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I've noticed that the Japanese displays often use stands that seem rather high for a Westerner's taste. The Kokufu albums have lots of similar examples, with high stands.

So, it seems like the height of the stand can vary significantly, there is a lot of freedom in this area.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,
you are a good support person in bonsai. I thank you.
I grow bonsai because I love trees. and making it look nice and somewhat natural is part of the art. When it reaches a certain point, we show it. The process is challenging and fun. I am glad you like our trees. I tach members to work on their trees. Several members work by themselves. Some hire me and other pro to work on their trees. We have combination of all levels of work. And we try to keep higher standard. It is fun to keep improving.
I also exhibit my private clients trees.
This is what we do.
Every one has different point of view on politics and religious. I try to do my best to keep those view points out. We just have a good time keeping out trees healthy and beautiful.
Thanks again for being bonsai friend.
Boon

I have never met you but from all I hear from your students, you're a stand up guy. You certainly have talent, because I've seen your work. I study under some of your sudents and I have your JBP video. A quality video by the way. I was joking about displaying my trees, but when you read words on a computer screen, it's hard to tell what someone means. Al misunderstood my meaning in my OP, and he is right about one thing, I am touchy about the way I approch this hobby, I get tired of people always running down collectors,because they don't do their own styling. I'm 67 years old and the time I have left to develop young trees is limited. I love bonsai just as much as anyone, anywhere, and I am lucky enough to purchase nearly finished trees. I pick the trees I buy and I hire Marco to come once a year and style the new trees I've bought over the winter time, otherwise I am responsible for everything else associated with my trees. Here is an example of a itowgawa in a Dale Cochoy pot I bought this winter for Marco to style this spring. I do post my trees before and after Marco styles them, for people to enjoy and no other reason. Sorry to have caused a ripple in the force on your show thread.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• juni 1.JPG
    juni 1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
MY project.........

Here is a shimpaku I bought Sunday Jan. 17th from a nursery that is shutting down. I plan to do 99.9 percent of the work on this plant if it survives. The only reason I can't take 100% credit , the owner, who is a friend of mine dug it for me, since he was already dirty. I will keep the progress of this project posted if anyone is interested. Marco will not touch this tree, guaranteed !!!!!!!!!!

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• ResizedImage.jpg
    ResizedImage.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 84

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a shimpaku I bought Sunday Jan. 17th from a nursery that is shutting down. I plan to do 99.9 percent of the work on this plant if it survives. The only reason I can't take 100% credit , the owner, who is a friend of mine dug it for me, since he was already dirty. I will keep the progress of this project posted if anyone is interested. Marco will not touch this tree, guaranteed !!!!!!!!!!

keep it green,
Harry

This will be a landmark moment for us Harry. I will watch and hopefully be amazed at this transformation.

You left me wondering why it won't survive???????

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This will be a landmark moment for us Harry. I will watch and hopefully be amazed at this transformation.

You left me wondering why it won't survive???????

Some of the plants I've bought over the years didn't make it, this tree, even as large as it it, didn't have a lot of fine roots. Most of the fine roots were at the end of some very large roots I had to cut off in order to get it in a pot.

keep it green,
Harry

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's simple really.

How do you kill a juniper, anyway?

You plant it in full shade. I've done this and will guarentee that the juniper will not survive. I've learned better since then; but this is a sure-fire method.

Ray

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, that's it. Or, a variation of this is to keep it indoors, I know that will do it as well. But I just can't imagine keeping any plant in shade, except some ferns or mosses.

You don't live in Oklahoma.

keep it green
Harry

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good question.
How do you kill a juniper, anyway? I've done many stupid things in bonsai, but I don't remember ever killing a juniper.

Of course this whole conversation makes me feel like inept because I've killed a number of junipers and I don't even live in Oklahoma! However, we digress from the original post.

Jeff

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi G
first let me explain a little about display. The standard size that we use is 6 foot (180 cm) space per display. Different sizes trees are dis played differently.
Shohin -2"-8" we use tiers stand or box stand.
Medium size-8-18" - 3 points display. It includes one main tree + +(secondary tree or scroll or suiseki or figurine+ accent plants.
Large tree - over 18" we use main tree plus accent
plants. For fun, sometimes we use 8 ft space and do 3 point display

The logic of display represent the way they grow in nature. Juniper is high
mountain tree. It is placed on taller stand and the
others are on lower area.

I used to see the display the same way you see it. Until I went to japan and study, it brodened my vision.

Oop have to get on the plane

Dear Boon,
Thank you so much for this explanation. I will endeavor to start reading more on the subject.
If you do return to this post – I noticed that you state that for fun you use a 8’ space and 3 point display but do you always use the Japanese traditional display method or do you stray away from it and if so, do you have some examples you could share.
Cheers
G.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a couple more

Attachments

• DSC_00040004.JPG
    DSC_00040004.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_00100010.JPG
    DSC_00100010.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_00280028.JPG
    DSC_00280028.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_00290029.JPG
    DSC_00290029.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_00300030.JPG
    DSC_00300030.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 78

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, beautiful trees. Now, having said that, I will probably get my ass handed to me, but I can't keep my mouh shut when I have an opinion. That beautiful juniper looks to me, that it could benefit from a little more angle to the left, it appears that is leaning a little too much to the right.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting, beautiful trees. Now, having said that, I will probably get my ass handed to me, but I can't keep my mouh shut when I have an opinion. That beautiful juniper looks to me, that it could benefit from a little more angle to the left, it appears that is leaning a little too much to the right.

keep it green,
Harry

The last picture?

Top Bottom