Bay Island Bonsai Exhibit 2010

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a wonderful day at Boon's in the Bay area. The exhibit this year was in Pleasanton, about 30 miles closer for me. I went to dinner about 3 miles from the old exhibit hall...go figure.

The exhibit was very nice this year with all the gang there as well as some new faces for me to meet. I took commissions for about 5 stands for this summer and Chris Johnston was sick so did not get to spend as much time with him as I wanted. John Kirby (Vonsgarden) was there and in rare form. We were able to spend a lot of time together and looked closely at some killer trees.

I will post a couple every few weeks so as to not flood the internet with pictures of an exhibit that sells a good book each year of the trees.

Enjoy, Al

Attachments

• DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_00260026.JPG
    DSC_00260026.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_00250025.JPG
    DSC_00250025.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_00360036.JPG
    DSC_00360036.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_00380038.JPG
    DSC_00380038.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting, Al. I wish I had joined the fun. Of course all of the trees looks great but the white pine (?) display and the last JBP really caught my eye.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting, Al. I wish I had joined the fun. Of course all of the trees looks great but the white pine (?) display and the last JBP really caught my eye.

The white pine is owned by Janet Roth, the tree that won on best North American tree at AoB a few years back and the black pine is owned by John Kirby (Vonsgarden). All were sweet trees.

Lots of conifers this year. Very few D trees, but there were a few, and those that were there were awesome.

Attachments

• DSC_00740074.JPG
    DSC_00740074.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_00580058.JPG
    DSC_00580058.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 141

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Wow what a great show! Such great quality.

Here's my fav pic I took of my girlfriend by Jim's Blue Atlas cedar.

Attachments

• cedar.jpg
    cedar.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 178

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Had a wonderful day at Boon's in the Bay area. The exhibit this year was in Pleasanton, about 30 miles closer for me. I went to dinner about 3 miles from the old exhibit hall...go figure.

The exhibit was very nice this year with all the gang there as well as some new faces for me to meet. I took commissions for about 5 stands for this summer and Chris Johnston was sick so did not get to spend as much time with him as I wanted. John Kirby (Vonsgarden) was there and in rare form. We were able to spend a lot of time together and looked closely at some killer trees.

I will post a couple every few weeks so as to not flood the internet with pictures of an exhibit that sells a good book each year of the trees.

Enjoy, Al

Al,
Thank you for posting the pictures

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Wow what a great show! Such great quality.

Here's my fav pic I took of my girlfriend by Jim's Blue Atlas cedar.

Beautiful! it was good to see both of you driving up to visit us. it meant a lot to me when you have to drive 4 hours each way.
Thanks,

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very beautiful! Thanks Al and Yenling.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, beautiful trees! Thanks very much for posting. With posts like these, sometimes I end up wishing I lived on the West Coast :)

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, beautiful trees! Thanks very much for posting. With posts like these, sometimes I end up wishing I lived on the West Coast :)

true statement, i feel so isolated with very few options here in the midwest.... :(

Reaction score
USDA Zone
true statement, i feel so isolated with very few options here in the midwest.... :(

I feel you brother. I only get to go once a year but they make me feel like family.

Al, sorry I didn't get to spend more time. It felt more like the flu than a cold but the worst of it passed, and I got some sleep last night. Thanks for the brochure from your competition, it was really well photographed, and the explanations were just fantastic for teaching. Better luck next year!

It was a great show, and broke down so much more quickly in the new venue. We had about half the items for auction that we did last year, but it was fun. I recommend everyone try to go sometime.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
smoke, what is the tree in the first picture u posted?

Probably a sierra juniper. Most of the western junipers I saw at the show were very dusky looking right now in winter. This tree is not so much so it may be a big San Jose or Prostrata.

EDIT: after a second look it I feel confident that it is a Western juniper .

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few more..

EDIT: At bonsai study group I will be asking Boon about this first tree. It will compared to another tree that I have questions about. I am hoping Bopon will take some time to answer my question as I did not get the chance to ask it at the exhibition.

Attachments

• DSC_00160016.JPG
    DSC_00160016.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_00190019.JPG
    DSC_00190019.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_00470047.JPG
    DSC_00470047.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_00710071.JPG
    DSC_00710071.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_00720072.JPG
    DSC_00720072.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Great trees BigAl, thanks for posting. Not bragging, but I could play with these guys, I'm surprised.......:rolleyes:

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great trees BigAl, thanks for posting. Not bragging, but I could play with these guys, I'm surprised.......:rolleyes:

keep it green,
Harry

You could play what? You mean you could play here with your Marco trees?

ahhh these guys do their own work!:D

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Probably a sierra juniper. Most of the western junipers I saw at the show were very dusky looking right now in winter. This tree is not so much so it may be a big San Jose or Prostrata.

EDIT: after a second look it I feel confident that it is a Western juniper (sierra).

Al, you are correct. it is western juniper. the different is sierra has thicker needle. western has pitch on the needle (like bristle cone pine). it is sticky. I have seen sierra juniper that was collected around mt. Shata, has the same pitch on the needle also.

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Al, i am more than happy to answer your question. I will be in Belgium tomorrow and will be back in a week. the answer may be delayed a little. unless i have some free time.
Thanks for coming to see the show. it is good to see you.
Boon

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
You could play what? You mean you could play here with your Marco trees?

ahhh these guys do their own work!:D

Excuse me, but I know of one that doesn't, does it matter who really works on the trees, is it an ego thing. I thought it was about the trees, not who was responsible for the ownership, styling and maintance. If that is the bottom line, responsible for the results of your own trees, then I am in the wrong hobby. Can you compete with Boon, I couldn't without help.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, i am more than happy to answer your question. I will be in Belgium tomorrow and will be back in a week. the answer may be delayed a little. unless i have some free time.
Thanks for coming to see the show. it is good to see you.
Boon

Thanks Boon..one problem, I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of the other tree. I will see if Chris took a picture. It was a large tree with a nice pot that was rectangle with a yellowish tinge to it. It was a pot that seemed to narrow at the top if that makes sense.

My question had to do with pot, tree, stand combination. I felt that tree was rather underpotted as well as having a stand a little small. I understand the complexities of all the trees and having the perfect stand. This was just an exercise for myself. I wanted your take on the display.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excuse me, but I know of one that doesn't, does it matter who really works on the trees, is it an ego thing. I thought it was about the trees, not who was responsible for the ownership, styling and maintance. If that is the bottom line, responsible for the results of your own trees, then I am in the wrong hobby. Can you compete with Boon, I couldn't without help.

keep it green,
Harry

Harry, your takin this way to personally. Your post said "I could play with these guys". I took that to mean that "your" trees were comparable to what is exhibited here. They are, but by the owners, not a professional. This isn't Kokufu where hobbiest own the trees and the professional exhibits the tree, allthough there may a few trees where that happens. I do know that for the most part these trees are worked on by the owners of the trees with guidenence and training thru Boon.

I saw some trees that were wired to shape on Thursday and were on display Sat. and not by Boon either. I am not really wanting to compete with Boon, but I would like to display with Boon.

And yes...It would make me feel really proud to know I had created what I exhibited.

Top Bottom