Bay Island Bonsai Show 1/28 & 1/19/17

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Anyone going to the BIB show this weekend? I'll definitely be there:)

Details:
Exhibit
BIB’s Annual Exhibit 2017

January 28-29. Oakland, California

Bay Island Bonsai Annual Bonsai Exhibit at the Lakeside Garden Center, 666 Bellevue Ave. Hours: 10AM-4PM, Saturday and Sunday. Auction on Saturday, preview at noon and auction at 1pm. NEW: A work shop open to the whole bonsai community on Sunday, January 29th, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM. Maximum 6 participants) Pictures of the workshop trees will be posted in October.

Guided tours of the exhibit both Saturday and Sunday. Vendor sales, Large pot sale, Club sales, Educational bonsai material for sale, A special pots sales this year. Entry to Exhibit is free, donations accepted. For more information (510) 919-5042

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
HAHA what are the odds?! I'll be like 10 miles away from Oakland those days. Of all the cities in America I could've visited this weekend

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My girlfriend says I'm allowed one bonsai day, my human name is gavin, maybe I'll see you there

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My girlfriend says I'm allowed one bonsai day, my human name is gavin, maybe I'll see you there
Please do! I will have 4 trees on display, plus I may be giving guided tours. And, not only is the BIB show one of the the highest quality shows in the country, the Botanical Gardens has a permanent display right next door with trees by John Naka, Ben Oki, Kathy Shaner, and many others.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I know how that goes:) My human name is Jeremiah Lee. Hope to meet you in person. Adair- look forward to seeing you there:)

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Jeremiah, I have visited your Blog Site and am very impressed...your selections of Yamadori Junipers is outstanding...my question is: Is all that Deadwood real as when you dug it up or is some of it your addition...???
You are so fortunate to be so close to Mountain sites offering such really nice Juniper...

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Jeremiah, I have visited your Blog Site and am very impressed...your selections of Yamadori Junipers is outstanding...my question is: Is all that Deadwood real as when you dug it up or is some of it your addition...???
You are so fortunate to be so close to Mountain sites offering such really nice Juniper...

Very kind of you Bolero! Yes, generally speaking all the deadwood is natural and created by mother nature. I would prefer not to carve Yamadori Junipers as I feel generally it looks too artificial to me and I think Mother Nature does a much better job then I ever could. Generally the only thing I do is create Jin and remove certain sections of bark to enhance the shari. But if the tree has naturally created deadwood, I use that as the focal point, not the jin that i've created.

Now, I do really appreciate certain carving on trees-like the silk carving that's done on field grown Taiwanese Junipers. I've also seen Mr. Kawabe in Japan graft shoots onto shimpaku, wire the shoots adding movement and then creating jin with those. He does a great job with that.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Again I appreciate your Yamadori Junipers, Marvelous..... and what is so special is that the Junipers are 100's of years old or more and with a little creative styling you have a Show Piece...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone have a bunch of photos to share? I saw a short video of some of it, but want to see more please?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a few of my trees:

Olive:

IMG_0107.JPG

Three point display:

IMG_0101.JPG

(From that angle, it looks like the JBP moves right. It doesn't. There's a pronounced forward lean that makes it look that way.) Broom style zelkova on the left.

Close up of the accent:

IMG_0106.JPG

Can you see the frog in the pool stone?

Shohin display:

IMG_0092.JPG

The only tree of mine in the display is the olive in the yellow pot. John Romano and John Kirby assisted in the placement. The fabulous twin trunk trident belongs to Paul Kellum, Boon's apprentice.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two trees that do not belong to me:

John Kirby's fabulous Kokonoe Japanese White Pine:

IMG_0110.JPG

It's probably the best JWP in the country.

Jonas Duiprich's JBP:

IMG_0115.JPG

This tree served as the model for the JBP postage stamp.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeremiah, I want to personally thank you for all your hard work helping with the photography!

For those that don't know, all the trees get professionally photographed. One by one they get taken into the photography studio for pictures. There are some HUGE junipers and, um, an olive that weigh a ton that have to get moved. I'm guessing there were about 80 trees total.

Jeremiah, you da man!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you @Adair M !
I saw some really interesting D trees in the short vid, hope there are more photos floating around, I'll go look at the FB link now.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you @Adair M !
I saw some really interesting D trees in the short vid, hope there are more photos floating around, I'll go look at the FB link now.
Where is the video?

BIB doesn't have enough deciduous trees. Everyone does Pines and junipers! Lol. There were some Japanese Maples, a stewartia, my zelkova, several tridents, and Ume and flowering quinces.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ron Anderson Bonsai Anderson, he posted it on FB. I don't know how to link to it, but if we were friends, I could share it...

Top Bottom