Bay Island Bonsai Show 1/28 & 1/19/17

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, thanks!

Ron and I construct the backdrops every year.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well it would be great if you could talk someone into letting us see more... :)

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Please do! I will have 4 trees on display, plus I may be giving guided tours. And, not only is the BIB show one of the the highest quality shows in the country, the Botanical Gardens has a permanent display right next door with trees by John Naka, Ben Oki, Kathy Shaner, and many others.
Adair,
On another subject, my wife and I will be traveling through Georgia in late April on our way to see my father in S.C. Can you recommend any bonsai stops on the way?
Thanks,
LeonardB

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeremiah, I want to personally thank you for all your hard work helping with the photography!

For those that don't know, all the trees get professionally photographed. One by one they get taken into the photography studio for pictures. There are some HUGE junipers and, um, an olive that weigh a ton that have to get moved. I'm guessing there were about 80 trees total.

Jeremiah, you da man!

Any chance we can see the photos? The studio ones that is :)

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Any chance we can see the photos? The studio ones that is :)

Thanks Adair, it was my pleasure:) Your Olive was probably the heaviest of them all which is definitely a good thing. The studio pics are still being edited by the photographer, i'm not sure when they will be available. I saw some of them and they look fantastic. I also got the chance to interview Matt Reel and Tyler Sherrod, i'm still editing the audio on that, but will make a new thread once it's finished.

D5E8F60D-A512-4912-B2D0-6CF8E7F44269_zpsifuovy4h.jpg

Here's my Sierra that I showed. This is just a picture I took with my phone, it's not taken by the photographer. This was collected in 2011 or 2012 and still has a ways to go.

F67721A1-FB0B-4614-9221-29A65854F374_zpshiagqzxr.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The studio pictures are owned by the BIB club. I know that Boon sends them to Bill Valavanis, and he selects some to be included in International Bonsai Magazine.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgot to snap photos (easy to forget when your camera is as awful as mine) BUT, my girlfriend snapped a photo of me in front of a hinoki cypress that stood out to me. Let's see if I can add it

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's not a terrific shot of the tree but I'll take that as a compliment. Not sure of the artist

Attachments

• 4eb45183-5db9-49d0-bd6f-ae2e0b501370_4_IMG_3368.jpg
    4eb45183-5db9-49d0-bd6f-ae2e0b501370_4_IMG_3368.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 42

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm curious about the categories for this show, large, medium, small, and then shohin. I guess I thought that small was shohin?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm curious about the categories for this show, large, medium, small, and then shohin. I guess I thought that small was shohin?
The categories are:
Large conifer;
Large deciduous or broadleaf;
Medium conifer;
Medium deciduous or broadleaf;
Small conifer;
Small deciduous or broadleaf;
Shohin conifer;
Shohin deciduous or broadleaf;
Bunjin;

Sometimes if there is a very unique tree, there is a "unique style" award.

The winners of each category are selected by the members of the club. Boon selects 4 or 5 candidates from each category to select from. If the tree has won within the past 5 years, it is ineligible. There is no"Best of Show".

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still don't understand, what the difference between a small tree and a shohin are? Are there actually size requirements for these categories?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shohin is 8 inches and under.

Small is about 12 and under. Maybe 14.

Medium about 24 and under.

Large anything over that.

It's not just height, though. My olive isn't over 24 inches. But there's no way it could be considered anything other than "Large"! Lol!!

And that's how Boon decided to categorize them. Each show can do it differently.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the answers, it is interesting that each show has it's own classifications. So that is your big olive that won? Congrats if so!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is my big olive. Thanks!

But, er, I was the only entrant in that category! Lol!

So, I came in last. Lol!!!

Olives, as you know, develop quickly. In a couple years it will really be a lot nicer. I just put it in that pot on Tuesday, last week. We chiseled off about two inches of trunk from underneath.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the answers, it is interesting that each show has it's own classifications. So that is your big olive that won? Congrats if so!
That's roughly the same as the Kokufu classifications, I believe.

The Atlanta club has three levels: beginner, enthusiast, and professional. Each of those is divided into conifer or deciduous. And there is an overall Best of Show. So, if a pine won BoS, another conifer would get the "Best conifer" award. Plus, the judge can give as many "Honorable Mentions" as he likes.

We get a few entries in the Beginner category, but hardly any Enthusiasts. Unfortunately, we have a number of members that think they are better than they actually are, and so they enter the Professional category. But they really ought to be in the Enthusiast category.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

The Atlanta club has three levels: beginner, enthusiast, and professional. Each of those is divided into conifer or deciduous. And there is an overall Best of Show. So, if a pine won BoS, another conifer would get the "Best conifer" award. Plus, the judge can give as many "Honorable Mentions" as he likes.

We get a few entries in the Beginner category, but hardly any Enthusiasts. Unfortunately, we have a number of members that think they are better than they actually are, and so they enter the Professional category. But they really ought to be in the Enthusiast category.
I like the idea of the size categories, as it's difficult for a smaller tree to compete with the mass of a large one. Ah hubris, and they could probably win in the Enthusiast category!
I didn't recognize your olive because of the new pot, but first and last, that's pretty rounded...
I'd still love to see more of this show....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the idea of the size categories, as it's difficult for a smaller tree to compete with the mass of a large one. Ah hubris, and they could probably win in the Enthusiast category!
I didn't recognize your olive because of the new pot, but first and last, that's pretty rounded...
I'd still love to see more of this show....
The big trees are shown in one room, the small trees another. The big trees are shown on a stand with an accent. The smaller trees are shown as "three point displays". Shohin are on shohin boxes.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Dude, just say it to my face and quit being so passive-aggressive... sheesh!!

:D

Top Bottom