Bayer spray vs granuals

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey guys got a pesticide question. I've been using the bayer spray for awhile with good success. Until this year were my tridents basicly went dormant and wouldn't grow. So I know it was the bayer retarding the tree. I've heard people say they use the granuals and not the spray and the granuals have no ill side effect like the spray.
Any experience with the granuals? Or recommendations for a good granuals stemstetic pesticide?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I personally use the Bayer protect and feed dilutable pesticide. I do about 4 tbls per gallon of water with good success.

Aaron

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Each insecticide has a purpose, what are you trying to kill?

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have used both granular and liquid Bayer 12mo Tree & Shrub. Liquid is cheaper. Both do the same thing.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have used the granular with no problems now for 3 seasons. Never used the spray. Granular is easy and lasts 12 months.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I have used the granular with no problems now for 3 seasons. Never used the spray. Granular is easy and lasts 12 months.
Even so it says it lasts that long some of the the papers published on Imidacloprid state its best effect duration is placed at closer to 3-6 months. I seriously doubt Kodoma's plants were set back because of spray applications if they followed the directions. I personally use the Bayer Advanced 12 month tree and shrub insect control II at 2 Tbs per gallon then water the plant with this solution--during a time when the plant is consuming water.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Even so it says it lasts that long some of the the papers published on Imidacloprid state its best effect duration is placed at closer to 3-6 months. I seriously doubt Kodoma's plants were set back because of spray applications if they followed the directions. I personally use the Bayer Advanced 12 month tree and shrub insect control II at 2 Tbs per gallon then water the plant with this solution--during a time when the plant is consuming water.

i think the effectiveness is less in a bonsai pot as we water frequently, especially the granular.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I'm currently fighting. Scale I think. See photo.

There is a lot out there on the retardation of leaves by the Bayer spray. It's happen to me before with my elms. But not as bad as it did to the tridents. I think I'm going to go to granular. No one seems to have problems with that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 32

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
can you take a photo of the bag you use?

Good stuff - all off our landscape plants love it. There are some plants potted that don't here like Beech so read the directions or call them. I never had it hurt any Maple but of course I have only ever owned 10 or so varieties.

Bayer S & T.jpg

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
same stuff Grim pictured. I've used it on beech with no issues either.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've used it on beech with no issues either.

Cool! Seems Beech collected here HATE everything including even a light fertilizer :eek: Serious, anything but water and they defoliate completely - had me confused for a good long while. I did get a small one after our deciduous "plague" and it has done great without...

Grimmy

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool thanks guys. I was looking at the bayer bags. Only could find bug and ant killers. Didn't think about looking in the bottle section. Back to the store now:)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool! Seems Beech collected here HATE everything including even a light fertilizer :eek: Serious, anything but water and they defoliate completely - had me confused for a good long while. I did get a small one after our deciduous "plague" and it has done great without...

Grimmy
I have found that it's a problem with soil retention of salts (fertilizer) and PH. After I switched to straight Kanuma, I've had no problems at all with beech. You should also never fertilize them until the leaves have started to harden off.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have found that it's a problem with soil retention of salts (fertilizer) and PH. After I switched to straight Kanuma, I've had no problems at all with beech. You should also never fertilize them until the leaves have started to harden off.

Good info and Thank You! I will conjur up a different mix for all the whips this Spring and keep that in mind. I grew a lot of little stuff after treating the property to gauge my success. Still a little gun shy so I will probably concentrate on Conifers, Junipers, and Flowering this year as they don't seem to care.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
@JudyB I'm about to use the Bayer Granules for the first time. How much do you use? Let's say for example, a tree in a 6" pot that is 2" deep? If I put too much, do you think it would hurt the tree? The instructions say don't let the water flush through the pot for the first 10 days, obviously that's not possible with bonsai, will it still last 12 months? Thanks for your time, any help would be great!

Top Bottom