BBC: Monty Don's Japanese Gardens

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thought that this may interest some if you have a spare hour to watch it.
This aired on Friday night and is very interesting. This is part 1 of a 4 part series and episode 2 will see Monty taking bonsai lessons.

Well worth the watch and I'll try to update the thread with the new episodes as they come in.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thought that this may interest some if you have a spare hour to watch it.
This aired on Friday night and is very interesting. This is part 1 of a 4 part series and episode 2 will see Monty taking bonsai lessons.

Well worth the watch and I'll try to update the thread with the new episodes as they come in.

Thanks for posting this. It was very much worth the hour, and I am looking forward to future episodes!

One theme that was repeated was the extreme “attention to detail”. I think that is still something that most of us in the West have not learned to apply with our bonsai.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Dang video pulled so here is another version. BBC do normally let them stay up or post their own version. I'm also guessing if you have a vpn you could probably watch on iplayer.

Nice! I love Monty Don, thanks for sharing.

Gardeners world hosted by him is the second best gardening show on tv, would be number 1 if it wasn't for the UK climate not resembling mine in the slightest.

Thanks for posting this. It was very much worth the hour, and I am looking forward to future episodes!

One theme that was repeated was the extreme “attention to detail”. I think that is still something that most of us in the West have not learned to apply with our bonsai.

Some of that blew me away, like a whole team of people just to tend the moss and how they tend to those big pines. Fascinating stuff.
I think his Ikebana needs work though.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dang video pulled so here is another version. BBC do normally let them stay up or post their own version. I'm also guessing if you have a vpn you could probably watch on iplayer.

Gardeners world hosted by him is the second best gardening show on tv, would be number 1 if it wasn't for the UK climate not resembling mine in the slightest.

Some of that blew me away, like a whole team of people just to tend the moss and how they tend to those big pines. Fascinating stuff.
I think his Ikebana needs work though.
Yes, those big pines... Some people on this forum have used pictures of those pines as examples of how JBP grow “in nature”, when in fact they are as carefully manicured as my JBP bonsai!

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. I'll have to watch this on BBC iPlayer later. The BBC and in particular Gardner's World have deliberately avoided discussing bonsai in the past, even when a bonsai display wins their own competition. So it's good to see this from them.

Post from Facebook last year:
John Trott's Mendip Bonsai Studio, scooped top prizes at this years Gardeners' World Live show at the NEC, not only was the show stand awarded the top Platinum Award but it also scooped the Geoff Hamilton Award as the 'Best in show'. Some how the BBC coverage of the show FAILED to even mention anything about Bonsai, let alone THE BEST IN SHOW BEING A BONSAI STAND !!.Why is this ?? what is the problem ??

Last edited:
Top Bottom