BC Forest

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My first attempt at a forest planting using 7 BC trees I bought for $3.50 each 3-4 years ago. The hardest part was trimming the large root systems to ~4" deep so they would fit in the 16"x13"x2" mica pot. The tallest tree is 34" and I will add some moss in a few days.

IMG_3661.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The placement looks pretty good, but I would have used a larger pot or went with fewer trees. The trees that are close to the edge roots don't have much room to spread to the sides.

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately this was the largest pot I had on hand and really needed to reduce the number of BC I have laying around. I had to prune the vertical growth & trim the roots pretty hard, so this is more of an experiment as to what a BC can take and survive.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot's too small. Trees mostly too tall and not close enough together.

I stole this photo from an old post by Redwood Ryan (forgive me) --the trees are BC (needs a repot), Notice how close the trees are together. Those trees started out the same size as yours many years ago. The owner drastically pruned the root masses to fit together while the trees were young. That selective drastic root prune allowed them to get the trees placed more tightly together. BC can take that kind of thing, provided you keep the soil moist.

Attachments

• bcforest.jpg
    bcforest.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom