BC Forest

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This spring I attempted my first forest by planting 7 BC's in a large mica oval pot and have kept that pot semi-submerged in an old cat litter tray, all in full sun. As relatively young & small as these trees were, it was a bear to get them in the pot together and required some very aggressive root pruning to do so. The largest tree in the center is 1 3/4" wide at the base, 27" tall where chopped in March, and now 37" tall counting the new vertical foliage. One tree (2nd from right) died but the other 6 seem very robust.

IMG_4247.jpg

My thought is to let it all grow unchecked until next spring at which time I'll replace the dead tree as it is boring pole except for the nebari. At that time should I also:
a) chop the largest 3 trees (to <24"?)
b) trim/wire horizontal branches
c) leave it alone another full year
d) plant some additional much smaller BC whips

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is what it looked like when I first planted it on 3/22/2022 when each tree was 2-3 years oldIMG_3661-2.jpg.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I out 7 in a large pot 2-3 years ago then this spring downsized them to a mcuh shallower one—lost the 3 smallest ones. So now I am looking for 3 replacements. Where did you find yours, no one around here seems to be growing them somI may have to get them off etsy.

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got my BC from a nursery in PA, probably paid $3.00 each for 2 year old twigs which grew very quickly. I checked their website but they are out of stock until spring 2023.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I out 7 in a large pot 2-3 years ago then this spring downsized them to a mcuh shallower one—lost the 3 smallest ones. So now I am looking for 3 replacements. Where did you find yours, no one around here seems to be growing them somI may have to get them off etsy.
Send me a pm, I have a few.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This spring I attempted my first forest by planting 7 BC's in a large mica oval pot and have kept that pot semi-submerged in an old cat litter tray, all in full sun. As relatively young & small as these trees were, it was a bear to get them in the pot together and required some very aggressive root pruning to do so. The largest tree in the center is 1 3/4" wide at the base, 27" tall where chopped in March, and now 37" tall counting the new vertical foliage. One tree (2nd from right) died but the other 6 seem very robust.

View attachment 450495

My thought is to let it all grow unchecked until next spring at which time I'll replace the dead tree as it is boring pole except for the nebari. At that time should I also:
Great start!
I don't feel qualified to tell you what to do as I have the same question with my BC forests.
I did chopped the trees in my forest much shorter once the trees recovered from the initial forest planting. BCs are so apical, I can get the height anytime I want. I didn't feel that I can get the taper desired leaving mine tall.

Last edited:

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

View attachment 450495

I vote D. Right now it looks like a line of smaller trees in the back with an outsized one in the front. Some smaller additions to that soil space in the front could balance it out.

Top Bottom