BC ..... FU

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Grabbed this one back in April off a Lowe's clearance rack, it was neglected, like my other BC from Wal-Mart's clearance rack.... It was over 8 feet tall so I chopped it down in the parking lot, leaving no foliage.
Got weird looks from employees as I threw the tree top into the dumpster.....you know, the usual.

I decided to attempt a Formal Upright style tree with this BC....never tried one before.
I believe this style is difficult to make look very nice, hence the initials FU....its like it laughs at those who attempt and says "F-you....try another windswept you fool, bwahahaha!"

Well anyway....
Enough clowning around....to the pics.
20190728_141306.jpg20190728_141329.jpg20190728_153527.jpg20190728_153541.jpg20190728_153613.jpg20190728_153559.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No mercy! Did you start wire at the top or bottom? Is it one long piece?

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for posting these pics. Can you tell us more about the screw and wine cork(?) at the top? Is the cork just so that the thick wire doesn’t damage the new leader?

If you had been drinking a long neck instead of wine at the time, would the bottle cap have worked just as well? 😂

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for posting these pics. Can you tell us more about the screw and wine cork(?) at the top? Is the cork just so that the thick wire doesn’t damage the new leader?

If you had been drinking a long neck instead of wine at the time, would the bottle cap have worked just as well? 😂
I stole the screw idea from someone else here on the forum....wish I could remember who, I'd tell you.
Yes the cork piece is just a pad to keep the wire from biting in so fast.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How tall do you anticipate this being when "finished"?
That's a good question, I dont know what the base of the tree looks like yet or how far down the bucket it goes.
Ioo find that out in the spring when I bare-root it.
Roughly I'm thinking 24 inches.

Hopefully when I do see the roots, I can keep the front I used here.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a good question, I dont know what the base of the tree looks like yet or how far down the bucket it goes.
Ioo find that out in the spring when I bare-root it.
Roughly I'm thinking 24 inches.

Hopefully when I do see the roots, I can keep the front I used here.

If I were going for a two foot tree I think I'd try to get taper started 8 - 10 inches from the bottom. Looks like you've got a tiny bit of taper in the bottom half. You might think about making the trunk chop lower.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If I were going for a two foot tree I think I'd try to get taper started 8 - 10 inches from the bottom. Looks like you've got a tiny bit of taper in the bottom half. You might think about making the trunk chop lower.
Yeah, I've had a similar thought....
I've also seen other BC bonsai with less taper than this tree has...
My other thought is that if I allow the lower branches to run as sacrifices while keeping the top in check, the taper may improve....

But yes, I don't totally disagree with you.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I love the wood screw, cork, and copper technique!!! I'm putting that in my toolbox.

The tree is coming along very nicely. Try to find a nice big tub to pot this into. You want something shallow. But that's just me. Great work!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I love the wood screw, cork, and copper technique!!! I'm putting that in my toolbox.

The tree is coming along very nicely. Try to find a nice big tub to pot this into. You want something shallow. But that's just me. Great work!
Thanks Bill!
It did react well to the initial work.
I like your thinking too, I will bare root it in the spring and get it into something shallower for sure.
This is my second year sitting my BC's in water from end of June till early September.
The seem to love it!

Can't wait to see what lies beneath the soil surface....hopefully its not too awful....

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@just.wing.it , have you played with Dawn Redwoods?
I have 8 seedlings that are about 24" and need to know then to chop?
They're planned for a forest planting.
Buck

Really depends on the scale of the forest. If they are all the same age/size, then I would chop some and let others grow wild.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@just.wing.it , have you played with Dawn Redwoods?
I have 8 seedlings that are about 24" and need to know then to chop?
They're planned for a forest planting.
Buck

Start a new separate thread for dawn redwoods. Tag me in it and I'll share photos.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, I had eight saplings that were about 24" tall until a thunderstorm knocked one of the pond baskets off the bench!!

I lost one of the four in that basket and two others have developed a major bend. I may just wait 'til spring and order some more seedlings. That way I'll have four older and a few younger trees.

Buck

Top Bottom