bdmatt's prostrata juniper progression thread #2

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Got another large prostrata, 3.5/4 inch base. Not much done to it today besides a repot. I don't have a plan yet, but I'm leaning towards a double trunk with grafted shimpaku. For sure the larger branches will need to be jinned down. Foliage is pretty weak so I'd have to wait some time before doing anything drastic. Any ideas/comments would be appreaciated.

1678087271407.png1678087393371.png1678087419437.png

Attachments

• 1678087298368.png
    1678087298368.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 1

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got another large prostrata, 3.5/4 inch base. Not much done to it today besides a repot. I don't have a plan yet, but I'm leaning towards a double trunk with grafted shimpaku. For sure the larger branches will need to be jinned down. Foliage is pretty weak so I'd have to wait some time before doing anything drastic. Any ideas/comments would be appreaciated.

View attachment 475557View attachment 475559View attachment 475560
I like the tree . As a Canadian I’m always jealous. Of the availability some of you guys have for material . We just don’t get stuff like that in nurseries. What it really boils down to . Is the labour involved in overwintering . To much work to keep stuff around . Anyway if your going the twin trunk . And I see why . You really only have one option . Where the 2 trunks follow each other after the first bend . Both trunks after the bend are straight . For the next section . That becomes the rub . What to do about that . Especially the shorter one . Heavy bending with a Jack . Split the shorter one and Jin 1/2 it and bend the other to mimic the larger . Are possibilities . I like your grafting plan . But it’s a matter of time and design . Do you want to graft to oranges you have . For a shorter time . Or do you want to graft low and have a longer project

Top Bottom