Be careful

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With all this cold weather following the earlier warmth I wanted to issue a warning. If you have had your trees in the garage, a shed, or cold porch be very careful returning them to an outside location once we get back to warmer weather next week. If they have sprouted new leaves, these new leaves will not be able to take full sun and any wind right away and can literally cook and shrivel away on you. I had this happen last spring with some larch that were budding out early in my garage and when I put them out in the sun they shriveled and died on me. It is better to slowly reintroduce them to the sunlight by placing them in some part shade for a few days. This can be difficult in itself since at this time the leaves have not popped on the trees in my yard so I have to search for a spot where they can get filtered light. Right now I have bald cypress, larch, J. maples, trident, elms, and wisteria all leafed out that have been in the garage for almost a week now. I have been bringing them out during the day but I have been careful to park them in a shady spot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom