Beautiful bark

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw this tree in the yard today. The colors are much more vibrant in person than they are in this picture. Cannot figure out what it is though. Currently no leaves so I was wondering if anyone looking at it would have a guess?
FE029663-0DA9-4F9C-A01A-6AF4EEDF9D06.jpeg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Paperbark maple = acer griseum.

Yep, 100% sure.

The kind of tree one would like to "bonsaify", but I think it can't be done. I have one about 5 feet tall (1,50 mètres) in a big pot, what you would call a "patio tree" I think. The colours in autumn/fall are splendid.

acer-gris01_191017a.jpg

Other pictures there :

Last edited:

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies. Yeah that thing was beautiful, it was probably 30 foot tall.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Go down to the statehouse sometime they have a lovely old lacebark elm.... it's on the State street side up towards High street.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Go down to the statehouse sometime they have a lovely old lacebark elm.... it's on the State street side up towards High street.

If I could, I'd go there and look at the people around, trying to guess who's Judy, and is that Jim or Dave ?...

;)

A.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’ve read the germination rate of A. grisseum is extremely low, down around 3%. I had a few growing a loooong time ago back in Iowa, but I killed them pretty quick. My MIL lives in Highlands, NC and a few are growing in raised beds on Main Street, beautiful trees.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’ve read the germination rate of A. griseum is extremely low

It seems more specimens in the same area will enhance the possibility of fertlile seeds.

My favourite (very teliable, in the EU) online provider also states a rate of germination which is quite low.

So far, I've just sown 5 seeds from my own tree.

I don't think any of them will sprout, but I've just got some from other locations.

A two-year process ?...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It seems more specimens in the same area will enhance the possibility of fertlile seeds.

My favourite (very teliable, in the EU) online provider also states a rate of germination which is quite low.

So far, I've just sown 5 seeds from my own tree.

I don't think any of them will sprout, but I've just got some from other locations.

A two-year process ?...
To enhance germination, drench the soil in Humic Acid @ 28 grams per gal.

Top Bottom