8A
Potential front of tree:
azalea1.png

Using my hand to show trunk width:
azalea2.png

Potential back of tree:
azalea3.png
azalea4.png

I'm replacing several azaleas in the front yard. I dug up and potted this beautiful azalea last weekend. The trunk is approximately 4 inches across with a lot of movement. There is an 1.5 inch tall hole in the center of the trunk. This azalea is approximately 15 years old. It looks as though it was three cuttings that eventually fused together which caused the hole.

I want to give a shot at my first larger semi-cascade azalea. I'm not sure if this is entirely possible given how the left-hand side limbs slope upwards. To achieve this, I would have to cut one of those thick left hand side limbs very close to the trunk. It would take many years to regain thickness, which I'm ok with that. I'm also uncertain as to which limb to keep on the left hand side. The split branch you see in the middle of the trunk is budding and healthy, I think this would be the best position for the crown.

I'd greatly appreciate any style tips/advice/guidance to make this into a semi-cascade tree. I know it's a bit of a stretch but I believe this could become a really beautiful tree with the right direction.

Thank you!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Unless you get a but in the right place on those trunks to make the cascading branch, you will have to come up with another plan. Those trunks are way too big to bend, azalea wood is very hard a brittle. If you happen to get a bud in the right place, it would be easy enough to train it to cascade.

The badly split trunk is probably a gonner, it looks too badly damaged to save, the stub that came out on it mid way up would have been a good cascade, it seems to be going in the right direction.. Hopefully some part of that section will come out but don't be surprised if you loose the it.

I would recommend that you just let it grow this year and get strong and worry about style maybe next spring. The only thing I would do other that let it just grow would be if you got that perfectly positioned bud for the cascade, maybe train it in the right direction.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’m brand new to bonsai but I know what I like when I see it. I find the two small holes at the base fascinating.
My 2 cents is to wait and let the tree grow and see where it wants to take you from here next year.

I’m personally dying to dig up this pine in my yard for bonsai because of it’s sweeping trunk line. I have no idea what design I will go into from there. I just know I like it’s shape. A good base is essential.
You have a great base.
4F3CE108-3F8C-45E1-8F47-6DC546D152FB.jpegA78BC3F8-8A81-4C55-ABCC-BE762744D435.jpegA78BC3F8-8A81-4C55-ABCC-BE762744D435.jpeg204E04CA-3D53-40A0-B841-FCC43816E39A.jpegAAD0F123-47F8-44B5-A322-397C66219256.jpeg
I don’t even know what kind of pine this yet. But I see great bonsai potential. What do you think?

Attachments

• 068D999E-3379-4103-803C-B998E603FDBC.jpeg
    068D999E-3379-4103-803C-B998E603FDBC.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom