Beautiful Large Black Pine Bonsai

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You know, it is very difficult to see your tree for the forest.
I think it would be well worth taking a good photo of that pine, @Housguy - I would really like to see it.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks everyone, he does have quiet the setup, his whole backyard is his garden, at least a hundred or more trees. They are all big though, so moving them around is a bit tough, but he has heavy equipment to do it though. Sorry about the pic, I will try to get a better one next time I visit him. Here is a few others from his forest guys. :)

Attachments

• Bonzai 039.JPG
    Bonzai 039.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Bonzai 035.JPG
    Bonzai 035.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Bonzai 031.JPG
    Bonzai 031.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 227

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pardon my ignorance;
Those metal rings around the trees; are those locks of sort to prevent theft?
Never seen it before and am curious.

Looks like a nice set up your friend has got going there! :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pardon my ignorance;
Those metal rings around the trees; are those locks of sort to prevent theft?
Never seen it before and am curious.

Looks like a nice set up your friend has got going there! :)

Auto-watering lines, most likely.:cool:

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Auto-watering lines, most likely.:cool:

Ah, gotcha....yeh you must be right!
Never seen a watering system looking like this before.

(Why is there no emoji for looking like an idiot by the way? :p)

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Interesting tree. This is one I would like to see in person in order to get a better “feel” for the tree.

It certainly “breaks the rules”!
Just curious, since I am fairly new to this wonder world of Bonsai, what rules are being broken with this tree?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just curious, since I am fairly new to this wonder world of Bonsai, what rules are being broken with this tree?
The following is based upon my study of classical bonsai:

The tree is planted in a round pot, but it’s not centered in the pot. It moves strongly right, then left. But not “up” so much. Usually, oval pots are used, or perhaps a relatively deep rectangle to “ground” the tree. Horticultural, planting as close to the edge of a pot weakens the rootage on that side. It’s better to be more centered for the health of the tree.

Style wise, we have an unobstructed view of the trunk, which then turns back, away from the viewer. Then, the trunk line is obscured by foliage, so we really can’t tell what’s happening, then you see a section shooting straight up in the upper middle portion of the foliage supporting the apex. It “looks” like that exposed section comes from farther of the left? And kinda snakes it way up? Does it come off the long branch that comes off the back and arches over to the left? Or is there a more continuous trunk line that is obscured by that row of folige? Can’t tell from the photo.

There’s branches growing out of the insides of curves, the apex is rather pointed, stuff like that.

The thing is, I can’t really tell “if I like it or not” from the photo. From the photo, the whole tree seems to moving away from the viewer. But, maybe in person, it doesn’t feel that way.

One thing I would do for sure is lower the apex. The wood shows a jog back to the right up in the apex, and then it goes pointed. To my eye, something has caused the tree to stop moving to the right, and move left. Strongly. And now, suddenly it grows back to the right? And sharply pointed? I think it would be better to have a soft crown, not a sharp crown, and no obvious movement back to the right.

Just my thoughts.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you Adair, that was very insightful.
The thing is, I just can’t really tell from just the photo. You have had the opportunity to stand in front of it.

How did it make you feel? Was it moving away from you?

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The thing is, I just can’t really tell from just the photo. You have had the opportunity to stand in front of it.

How did it make you feel? Was it moving away from you?
I guess you can say my initial feeling was happy that this was a cool looking tree. May be a little, I will have to get a better look at that next time I see it. I will work on getting more detailed pics next time also.

Top Bottom