Beautyberry

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have some small 6" pot I believe Japanese Beautyberry raw stock. I only have 5-6 for sale and they'd be $35 plus shipping. The Japanese beautyberry has much smaller foliage and fruit than the American version which grows wild in many southern states. I'll post a picture tomorrow but now they're dormant so they don't look like much.

Come on Bob we need pics, we're waiting to give you our money:)

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If anybody wants to come to Richmond, you can have my two landscape Beautyberries... They're really in the way and take up space in the only prime full sun area in my yard, I take a reciprocating saw to them a couple times a year :eek::eek::cool: but they keep bouncing back :rolleyes:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Like I said small raw stock. They were about 18-24" before we cut them back to create one trunk line but these will be several years before they amount to much. They all flowered and put on fruit. Actually $35 is a little steep so I think it'll be $25 each plus shipping. These 6 are all that are available at the moment. IMG_5291.JPG IMG_5294.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have never seen one before, but with those purple berries, I think it's calling my name.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My friends been bugging me to take cuttings from his. Maybe I'll use it as an accent

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Looks like something you should stock as seedlings.... I would pick up some seedlings of this.

I agree, reading that link that BNut posted, a Dutch selection, Callicarpa bodinieri var. giraldii ‘Profusion’ scored high due to a "tidy" growth habit, heavy, reliable, long-lasting fruiting and nice flowers. You all think that would be a good choice? Or the japanese?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would go with the smaller leaf, which is probably the Japanese one.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree, reading that link that BNut posted, a Dutch selection, Callicarpa bodinieri var. giraldii ‘Profusion’ scored high due to a "tidy" growth habit, heavy, reliable, long-lasting fruiting and nice flowers.

Because this is grown for the nursery trade, I think it is easier to get your hands on. Monrovia grows them - I just ordered one from my local nursery and it will be arriving in January.

3909.jpg

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The plants I saw in the nursery were clumps with skinny stems. Not sure you could get a single trunk out of the clump without damaging the plant. Bob's are very good, buy 'em up. Second choice I would try to get a little liner or tube like the plants sold by forestfarm.

Easy to grow and beautiful, trunks thicken very slowly, think small bonsai. Remove suckers.

I have Callicarpa dichotoma 'Early Amethyst.' This year I had fruit from end of August 'til Thanksgiving.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
The plants I saw in the nursery were clumps with skinny stems. Not sure you could get a single trunk out of the clump without damaging the plant. Bob's are very good, buy 'em up. Second choice I would try to get a little liner or tube like the plants sold by forestfarm.

Easy to grow and beautiful, trunks thicken very slowly, think small bonsai. Remove suckers.

I have Callicarpa dichotoma 'Early Amethyst.' This year I had fruit from end of August 'til Thanksgiving.

What is the leaf size on 'Early Amethyst'?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sorry all available ones are sold. Thanks. The rest are going into the ground or bigger pots for development. The Japanese varieties have the smallest leaf and fruit size. By more than 50% of any other cultivars I’ve seen. The American native has leaves 3-4 times the size.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If anyone does wind up stocking seedlings of the Japanese variety, or knows of where I can get these come spring, please PM me, I will take a batch off your hands!

Top Bottom