Beautyberry

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't know that, I just recently saw an international bonsai article on the species and thought it looked cool.

The Japanese beautyberry specifically, since it doesn't grow as vigorously and stays more compact.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There is American beautyberry and Japanese beautyberry. My understanding is that they have different growth habits, but I have very little experience with the plant. I just picked up my first Japanese beautyberry at the GSBF show a couple of months ago.

A Japanese beautyberry shohin there sold for $550. It was there the first day and when I came back two days later... gone. It was a mixed relief for one of my friends - who wanted to buy it but the price was a little steep for his bonsai budget that day :) My beautyberry is not really even pre-bonsai. At this point it is just a plant in a nursery pot.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow! That is way over my budget too!

It was a pretty amazing plant :) This is not the one at the GSBF show (I didn't take any photos of it) but a different beautyberry - but you can tell how striking it can be.

With cold weather arriving I am on a winter fruiting tree bender :)

2e65959c22b9994ca9352822ceea46bb.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was a pretty amazing plant :) This is not the one at the GSBF show (I didn't take any photos of it) but a different beautyberry - but you can tell how striking it can be.

With cold weather arriving I am on a winter fruiting tree bender :)

View attachment 170145
Photo by W. N. Valavanis.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are apparently quite a number of species and cultivars - and much confusion regarding horticultural and common names. I see people referring to all different cultivars as "Asian" or "Japanese" beautyberry - even if they aren't.

After the GSBF show I went searching for information, and this is one of those plants where there is a lot of confusion among nurseries. Even now if you search for Japanese beautyberry you will find lots of links to articles for other species - that people refer to as Japanese beautyberry.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
We had one in our yard at our first house. The berries are an intense color. In retrospect, I wish I would have dug it up. It had been chopped back several times and was growing in some very shallow soil, right at the base of a rock outcropping. In berry, they really draw attention to themselves, because there isn’t much like it.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There is American beautyberry and Japanese beautyberry. My understanding is that they have different growth habits, but I have very little experience with the plant. I just picked up my first Japanese beautyberry at the GSBF show a couple of months ago.

A Japanese beautyberry shohin there sold for $550. It was there the first day and when I came back two days later... gone. It was a mixed relief for one of my friends - who wanted to buy it but the price was a little steep for his bonsai budget that day :) My beautyberry is not really even pre-bonsai. At this point it is just a plant in a nursery pot.

Yeah, saved me some money there:). It was nice but not $550 nice, with it being more of a shrub it's difficult to find one with a reasonably sized single trunk.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah, saved me some money there:). It was nice but not $550 nice, with it being more of a shrub it's difficult to find one with a reasonably sized single trunk.

I was trying not to mention you by name :)

Well... right now my plant looks more like a stinging nettle than anything $550 worthy. Though I think it was grown in a greenhouse or something because it has not dropped any leaves and the berries are only now starting to turn purple...

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The issue (as far as I can tell) is that Japanese and American beautyberry have different growth habits. I have only a single plant so I can't tell how different they may or may not be. Additionally, there are some very attractive cultivars out there that are based off of Purple beautyberry (Callicarpa dichotoma) - which is an Asian native but not the Japanese species.

Ian tossed me down the rabbit hole when he introduced me to this plant :)

nonnative-beautyberry.jpg

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have some small 6" pot I believe Japanese Beautyberry raw stock. I only have 5-6 for sale and they'd be $35 plus shipping. The Japanese beautyberry has much smaller foliage and fruit than the American version which grows wild in many southern states. I'll post a picture tomorrow but now they're dormant so they don't look like much.

Top Bottom