Beaver Moon

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Must be a sign it's safe to dig these trees I had in the ground the last 2 yearsish.
Capture+_2019-11-09-13-59-15.png

A Buckthorn.
20191110_141854.jpg

20191110_141842.jpg

20191110_144958.jpg

And a Hops Hornbeam.20191110_144928.jpg

20191110_144953.jpg

20191110_144946.jpg

20191110_144934.jpg

Theres threads on em I reckon.

This here bout that Beaver Moon and wether or not they'll survive this late fall digging.

I oughta get some root growth this month if it's warm.

But will they live next year?

We'll see!

Sorce

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good luck
I might have just put my trees up and protected them on a beaver moon.
Beavers are as good at making trunks fall as they are at helping them grow.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I’m intrigued. I’ve seen you mention this lunar malarkey before so what’s the craic? Any reading you can point me in the direction of? Ta.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It's like anything else that loves to stay debated. Both sides talking, neither paying attention. So far into fighting the fight, it's the fight more than the intellect. So reading is BS.

I'd like to say I have enough information here, but I failed to realize how little it has been loaded to my Root Talk thread.

My whole thing has been, do it for yourself and prove it right or wrong for you. I am certain folks will all come up with the same understanding, that roots grow stronger during the Waning moon. Then they can apply the knowledge however they wish.

I've been observing my regular trees in Bonsai pots for root action thru the holes, and even those follow the pattern. You don't even need everything in Good Actual Colanders, it just makes observing everything easy. Just lift up and take notes.
I'll remain curious as to your findings. As "uncanny" changes to "more than a coincidence" to a pattern you can begin to call by what roots are doing alone.

Sorce

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorce, I've been following certain folk's posts for almost four years now. Never ending cycle of reading and applying. Trials and errors. Successes and failures.

I thought I remembered you changed your watering habit and it made a worlds difference. You now use an automated system which soaks the entire pot and for a longer duration? And all your trees are much happier/healthier because of the thorough watering. Water/nutrients/photosynthesis=root growth?

I must say I'm skeptical about the moon thing. Have you started observing the moon at the same time when watering regime changed?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you started observing the moon at the same time when watering regime changed?

I started watching em when I was still tap watering on my apartment windowsills!
Then here with rainwater, then here with the autotapwater again.

None of it has changed the pattern.

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The moon was something at dusk today.

Did you bare root them? Is your aftercare the same as others? ..in the ground?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorce, any thoughts on how you could objectively test your waning moon theory?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The moon was something at dusk today.

Did you bare root them? Is your aftercare the same as others? ..in the ground?

I did bareroot em. Hosed up.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, any thoughts on how you could objectively test your waning moon theory?

We should have enough data here of trees repotted when and wether or not they died to make rather solid conclusions.

Of course not. Correlation is not causation

I have no proof the moon causes the cycle, I don't believe it does so I wouldn't look for that.

Sorce

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
It's like anything else that loves to stay debated. Both sides talking, neither paying attention. So far into fighting the fight, it's the fight more than the intellect. So reading is BS.

I'd like to say I have enough information here, but I failed to realize how little it has been loaded to my Root Talk thread.

My whole thing has been, do it for yourself and prove it right or wrong for you. I am certain folks will all come up with the same understanding, that roots grow stronger during the Waning moon. Then they can apply the knowledge however they wish.

I've been observing my regular trees in Bonsai pots for root action thru the holes, and even those follow the pattern. You don't even need everything in Good Actual Colanders, it just makes observing everything easy. Just lift up and take notes.
I'll remain curious as to your findings. As "uncanny" changes to "more than a coincidence" to a pattern you can begin to call by what roots are doing alone.

Sorce
So it’s all about sap draw then? I’m not going to dispute it, makes sense I guess. First half of the month above the ground, second half below. Worth an investigation methinks.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, good luck with our early cold weather. They are nice, hope they make it.

Top Bottom