Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have quite a few small trees I took as saplings a few years ago and potted them in various grit mixes. They are doing great but are getting too big (and there are too many) to keep potting up, I simply cant make that much grit. I want to put them in the ground for a few years to let them grow. I have some flag stones I'll bury and I'll plant them on the stones. The deciduous, elms and such I thought can come out of the grit easily enough as I see possible watering problems with them being in half grit and half soil. I also have quite a few conifers; junipers, pines, spruce, I would like to do the same with these but they don't like to be bare rooted (twice, once going in and again when I re-pot them). I read here that you can put them in pantyhose to contain the grit and then plant them. Sounds pretty good, no? Do you think the would grow in pure pine bark, large chunks straight out of the bag? Then I could water and fertilize them as if they are still in grit. Any thoughts on my plan
Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Top Bottom