Beech air layering

george356

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, new to bonsai and this forum.
I recently bought a beech sapling and want to create a little beech foerest. I have air layered the top third of the main trunk (about 1cm thick). Can you tell me how long it should take for roots to form and how long I should wait before severing the child from the parent tree?

Thank you

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of air layered beeches. The ones I did see took more than a year to produce roots, if they even did so.
Over here they're sold in twelve packs for 5 euros per pack for hedges. Usually around 1cm in thickness.
I think that if you're going for a forest, one of those packs would get you better and faster results than air layering.

george356

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'll give it another month (already been layering for a month) then have a look, if no joy I'll just lop it off and use what's left.

george356

Seedling
Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of air layered beeches. The ones I did see took more than a year to produce roots, if they even did so.
Over here they're sold in twelve packs for 5 euros per pack for hedges. Usually around 1cm in thickness.
I think that if you're going for a forest, one of those packs would get you better and faster results than air layering.
Thanks for the prompt reply, W-G-W. Do you have any contact details for those hedge packs, I cannot find anything similar in the UK.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply, W-G-W. Do you have any contact details for those hedge packs, I cannot find anything similar in the UK.
I find them in every gardening store in spring and just before winter. But I'm from the mainland, you can try if @Clorgan might've seen a few somewhere. She seems to have her ways of turning things into a positive upward spiral for everyone and I remember recommending her to get some beeches.

I tried googling 'fagus sylvatica UK nursery' and I found this page:
At 2.2 quid a piece I think they're pretty expensive but they are the same size range as we get them over here. You should be able to find better results if you put in a bit more effort than I did (I just clicked the first link).
Here's a cheaper one, they seem to go per bundle of 25. But you'd have to wait until october.

I think @Peter44 has some experience with bare rooted beeches. I remember he wasn't really happy about them, he might be able to chime in with some advice about what to take into consideration.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I find them in every gardening store in spring and just before winter. But I'm from the mainland, you can try if @Clorgan might've seen a few somewhere. She seems to have her ways of turning things into a positive upward spiral for everyone and I remember recommending her to get some beeches.

I tried googling 'fagus sylvatica UK nursery' and I found this page:
At 2.2 quid a piece I think they're pretty expensive but they are the same size range as we get them over here. You should be able to find better results if you put in a bit more effort than I did (I just clicked the first link).
Here's a cheaper one, they seem to go per bundle of 25. But you'd have to wait until october.

I think @Peter44 has some experience with bare rooted beeches. I remember he wasn't really happy about them, he might be able to chime in with some advice about what to take into consideration.

Thanks for the thought there! 😊

Unfortunately, I've not seen any! I was looking out for them at the first few local nurseries I visited, but didn't see any, then stopped looking. Will keep an eye out though!

Does it need to be beeches George? Not trying to put you off them at all, just I'm sure there's so many different plants you could consider 😊

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I haven't found beeches difficult to air layer. I have layered both American and European Beech and I recall another member here (Mach5) doing a Japanese Beech. I just cut a ring, put clonex on it, wire a nice bit of sphagnum moss to the wound, and wrap in clear plastic. Probably takes 8 weeks and I have probably done it 5-6 times on them. My climate is different though. They are used for hedging in the UK so you may find seedlings relatively cheap or buy seeds in the fall.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I found them easy to root to. They are different in the way the wood is though...no cambium is apparent, just "spongy wood".
The ones I did, I just used the fines from my bonsai mix as substrate. I did put a thin layer off sphagnum around the top girdle.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mine took 2 years

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine took 2 years
Yeah I remember that. Well done on that. I still want to try Alain's method of the wire girdle.

george356

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought there! 😊

Unfortunately, I've not seen any! I was looking out for them at the first few local nurseries I visited, but didn't see any, then stopped looking. Will keep an eye out though!

Does it need to be beeches George? Not trying to put you off them at all, just I'm sure there's so many different plants you could consider 😊
Not really completely stuck on Beeches, but I really like the look of a full size stand of Beech trees in the Autumn.
Do you have any other, similar but easier, suggestions?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Not really completely stuck on Beeches, but I really like the look of a full size stand of Beech trees in the Autumn.
Do you have any other, similar but easier, suggestions?

Seen people use junipers and maples, I'm sure there's tons of options though, and there will be loads of people on here better placed to give advice :)

Top Bottom