Beech cuttings

Mike89222

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently started a purple beech forest using some discounted bare root plants. One of which seems to already be dead.

IMG_20220510_183242.jpg

When I planted them, I trimmed some overly long branches and put them in a pot with hormone powder and put a plastic bottle over them. They seem to be doing quite well and the leaves have since come out of thier buds.

IMG_20220510_183236.jpg

Im curious if anyone has any tips on making sure they root as I'd love to be able to add them to the forest next year.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They may be leading out on stored energy stored in the stem. If they make it till fall and are still looking healthy it’s a good chance they have rooted successfully. Just leave them alone and see what happens.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you cut off the air completely or are there holes in the bottle?
Organic soil, not my favorite for cuttings
Now that the cutting had to produce leaves from stored energy its got nothing to produce roots with other than what it slowly recovers through photosysnthesis over time.

I think Herons Bonsai is also in or near Surrey? Lucky you

Mike89222

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you cut off the air completely or are there holes in the bottle?
Organic soil, not my favorite for cuttings
Now that the cutting had to produce leaves from stored energy its got nothing to produce roots with other than what it slowly recovers through photosysnthesis over time.

I think Herons Bonsai is also in or near Surrey? Lucky you
There's no holes but it's only placed loosely on top.

What would be better than organic soil?

Perhaps I should have pulled the buds off first, damn.

Yeah herons is about 40mins drive from me, I've not been yet but its definitely something I need to get around to doing!

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What would be better than organic soil?
Inorganic soil... pumice, akadama, perlite, vermiculite, seramis, sharp sand, etc.
But dont think that will mean therell be no rot. If you cut off the fresh air supply the cuttings may rot on their own within 2 days
Also try not to cook them in the sun
I let my cuttings get sun until noon but they get enough air and I know they dont overheat
Perhaps I should have pulled the buds off first, damn.
No, just wait until the leaves have emerged on the mother plant and are at least semi-hard before taking cuttings

Mike89222

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Inorganic soil... pumice, akadama, perlite, vermiculite, seramis, sharp sand, etc.
But dont think that will mean therell be no rot. If you cut off the fresh air supply the cuttings may rot on their own within 2 days
Also try not to cook them in the sun
I let my cuttings get sun until noon but they get enough air and I know they dont overheat

No, just wait until the leaves have emerged on the mother plant and are at least semi-hard before taking cuttings
Thanks for the advice! Perhaps I'll see if i can get a couple more now the leaves have come out

Top Bottom