Beech & elm - coming or going?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, (apologies if this is a redundant post but I didn’t find anything...) coming to the end of spring cleaning and thinking I might have another casualty.
This European beech just hasn’t leafed out. I did the scratch test and there is still green, but I don’t know if it’s on it’s way out or what. These buds have been there forevvverrr. I’ve accidentally popped a few off when I’ve investigated it over these past months. I’ve never worked with this tree before.

On a side note, this elm, does anyone know what could be causing this random leaf yellowing and dropping? The tree looks healthy to me otherwise and I don’t see any pest issues....
8492A3B6-9C79-4FF7-87A4-F541926E1C9F.jpegE8C09ABE-9AAA-4D36-976E-0ED2972E7F38.jpeg94589A45-CFA7-4ABA-A737-F9C0EF5BC71C.jpeg

8378495E-6A7A-497C-92F6-54669F8E68B6.jpegCCEAEC05-9CC2-401B-BA7E-26EA80DF1808.jpeg307DB284-10B8-4910-B8E4-42551C2A981D.jpegBCA625DC-1B53-4BAB-919E-E760ECD5A212.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If it's still green, just be careful not to over water it, but don't let it dry completely, and let it sit... maybe you'll get lucky.

The elm...
I dunno. My elm does that sometimes... usually not this early in the year... But I remove all questionable leaves as soon as I see them.

Edit:
A dose of Daconil couldn't hurt.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If it's still green, just be careful not to over water it, but don't let it dry completely, and let it sit... maybe you'll get lucky.

The elm...
I dunno. My elm does that sometimes... usually not this early in the year... But I remove all questionable leaves as soon as I see them.

Edit:
A dose of Daconil couldn't hurt.
Yup! Did just that.
I’m trying not to fuss with it too much but u feel like it should be doing something by now. Guess we’ll just wait and see.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel you. Both of my Nanking Cherries are sitting there doing nothing at all. People further north than me have already enjoyed theirs having bloomed and mine looks dead. Buds haven't even swelled, yet the stems are pliable and green beneath the bark when I did a tiny scrape. So I wait and see. Everything else they over wintered with outside has leafed out just fine. Stupid cherries.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those beech buds look like they will take at least another 2 weeks to open.
Collected specimens are in full leaf now. While my garden store beeches are juuust starting to open up.
So even in Europe, European beeches differ with 4 weeks when it comes to opening buds.
Don't worry, they'll make up for that lost time. Even better: the later they open, the higher the chance that aphids have moved to something that is already open.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beech looks fine, i have one or two beeches at a similar stage to yours. elms looks fine, it could be just shedding dead leaves, bright yellow leaves on C elm can also be a sign of too much water, but it looks healthy otherwise. just keep both moist

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I feel you. Both of my Nanking Cherries are sitting there doing nothing at all. People further north than me have already enjoyed theirs having bloomed and mine looks dead. Buds haven't even swelled, yet the stems are pliable and green beneath the bark when I did a tiny scrape. So I wait and see. Everything else they over wintered with outside has leafed out just fine. Stupid cherries.
:p

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those beech buds look very alive—swollen, brightly colored, and firm.

My European beech buds have only burst this week. It’s nearly always the last plant to push leaves.

Top Bottom