Beech - Fagus Sylvatica

WimA

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice progress since 2016! If you desire exaggerated taper, you could chop the trunk above the second branch on the right, but it can be a more elegant tree if kept as is. Do you intend to keep the outline triangular, or do you want it to be more natural?

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Nice progress since 2016! If you desire exaggerated taper, you could chop the trunk above the second branch on the right, but it can be a more elegant tree if kept as is. Do you intend to keep the outline triangular, or do you want it to be more natural?
Thanks! In future the power branches will be much longer and growing more up and the top will become much flater, as an old beech often has…

I have no older pictures..

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly am doing same with personal E Beech. Suggest using upper trunk to develop trunk size only. When reached would cut back to 3rd branch below bulgy bend/develop from there. Had to cut back 2 years past regrow sacrifice apexes(3 of them)to begin healing major cut scar;).

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Honestly am doing same with personal E Beech. Suggest using upper trunk to develop trunk size only. When reached would cut back to 3rd branch below bulgy bend/develop from there. Had to cut back 2 years past regrow sacrifice apexes(3 of them)to begin healing major cut scar;).
Great respons! I will consider that seriously! The fact is that the wound will never heal anymore, the tree is set back for many years than and will become a shohin. That size doesnt fit an E Beech very well, because of the leafsize. On the other hand, the tree will look much more powerfull! …hmm difficult choice…

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great respons! I will consider that seriously! The fact is that the wound will never heal anymore, the tree is set back for many years than and will become a shohin. That size doesnt fit an E Beech very well, because of the leafsize. On the other hand, the tree will look much more powerfull! …hmm difficult choice…
Part of sacrifice growing as future trunk part. Wound healing OK☺️. Planning about 2.5' tree. No shohin😖!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
At first trunksize, and healing wounds, also developing a nebari and later developing ramification.. This was 2016, february.View attachment 405015
Interesting hmm very very interesting. Got a few E Beech projects in the works for a forest mostly . And one solo.. idk what it is but I love hornbeams and beech , all kinds hope to get a Japanese Beech one day. Korean hornbeam is coming in hot in a Few weeks. I think it’s the bark and the foliage in winter /ramification

Top Bottom