Beech forest

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Yesterday I made this forest of 15 European beech saplings.
IMG_20190303_151234.jpg

IMG_20190303_151247.jpg

IMG_20190303_151400.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the result so far, still needs some guy wires here and there. Also, the trunks were almost all the same thickness. I'll probably add a few seedlings when I repot it and maybe take out 2 or 3 'bigger' trees from the back.
The sapling in the front, on the right has a weird bend, which I didn't really notice at first... So that'll have to go as well!

Can't wait to see the buds open :)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Did you tie each tree down or how did you anchor them? How big is the pot? Where did you get the beach seedlings if I can ask? Thanks

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Did you tie each tree down or how did you anchor them? How big is the pot? Where did you get the beach seedlings if I can ask? Thanks

I anchored them with a couple of wires through holes in the bottom of the pot. On bonsai4me under 'advanced techniques - group plantings' you can find infomation on how to wire down the trees. The guy wires hold the trees in a specific position until the roots are more developed and hold the trees in place.
The dimensions of the pot are: 40x30x10 cm. Eventually I'd like to plant them in a large shallow oval pot.
I got the seedlings from a plant and tree nursery. You can buy them for 70 cents per sapling. They're usually used for hedgerows around here.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When making a forest, is there a formula for figuring out how high the trees should be. I would imagine it is dependent on the pot size and maybe the species? Help appreciated. Peter

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
When making a forest, is there a formula for figuring out how high the trees should be. I would imagine it is dependent on the pot size and maybe the species? Help appreciated. Peter
The most important guideline about height is that the tallest tree should have the thickest trunk... In the case of my little forest here, this was difficult, since the trunk diameters were more or less the same, save 3 or 4 trees...
The link to the video Cofga posted is very useful. I also recommend reading 'Intermediate bonsai, a course syllabus' by Thomas L. Zane, found here: http://www.bonsai-bsf.com/magazine/intermediate_bonsai.pdf

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks fishtank. And does the tallest/biggest tree always go in the front? I see forest where the tallest tree is in the middle. Is there a norm with that?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great start on your forest.
You want some Bnut help? @Adair M he knows forests! Has given me some great advice about my forest.

Last edited:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
And does the tallest/biggest tree always go in the front? I see forest where the tallest tree is in the middle. Is there a norm with that?

It really depends on what you are trying to portray or accomplish...
You are posting in the Forest, Saikei, and Penjing area so I suggest you come up with a Plan, some kind of Setting where you will incorporate 3 or 4 different elements. ie. Trees, Shrubs, Rocks, Misc Ground Cover, use your imagination to Create..................., Bring your Wife or Girlfriend or Mistress or Significant Other in to get their impressions.....
Dont worry about Norms just be Creative....

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks fishtank. And does the tallest/biggest tree always go in the front? I see forest where the tallest tree is in the middle. Is there a norm with that?

This is what Saburo Kato said about the placement of the primary tree in his book “Forest, Rock Planting, & Ezo Spruce”:
FC0F444C-8D7C-418C-AFAD-98EDF9431DD9.jpegFC0F444C-8D7C-418C-AFAD-98EDF9431DD9.jpeg

He says the main thing is to not have it dead center between the front and back of the pot. I heard “put the main tree in front of all other trees” a lot from people when I was first researching forest plantings. Supposedly to create more depth I guess is what people are thinking when they say this. But it is not necessary. What is more necessary for creating depth is planting smaller trees behind the main tree and even smaller trunks behind those.

Planting some smaller trees closer to the viewer does help give some depth IMHO, but what this accomplishes really well is that it will give a grander scale to your primary trees. It will make them look even bigger to have a few smaller trees closer to the front of the pot than the primary tree.

When I took a forest planting workshop with Bill Valavanis, he planted some smaller trees closer to the front than the primary tree in his demonstration. At the time I was still thinking you were “supposed” to always put the largest tree at the front. But I think it helps the forest to look more natural and not so forced this way as well. There are no rules just a lot of guidelines, the finished product is what matters and will speak for itself.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is what Saburo Kato said about the placement of the primary tree in his book “Forest, Rock Planting, & Ezo Spruce”:
View attachment 230327View attachment 230327

He says the main thing is to not have it dead center between the front and back of the pot. I heard “put the main tree in front of all other trees” a lot from people when I was first researching forest plantings. Supposedly to create more depth I guess is what people are thinking when they say this. But it is not necessary. What is more necessary for creating depth is planting smaller trees behind the main tree and even smaller trunks behind those.

Planting some smaller trees closer to the viewer does help give some depth IMHO, but what this accomplishes really well is that it will give a grander scale to your primary trees. It will make them look even bigger to have a few smaller trees closer to the front of the pot than the primary tree.

When I took a forest planting workshop with Bill Valavanis, he planted some smaller trees closer to the front than the primary tree in his demonstration. At the time I was still thinking you were “supposed” to always put the largest tree at the front. But I think it helps the forest to look more natural and not so forced this way as well. There are no rules just a lot of guidelines, the finished product is what matters and will speak for itself.

Oh and in terms of the tallest tree in the center, I’m guessing that would typically be more associated with a very formal forest, with straight trunks etc. The biggest “norm” in terms of the left to right placement of the main tree is probably to have it either 1/3 of the distance away from either the left side of the pot or the right side of the pot. Then again, guidelines.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
What is more necessary for creating depth is planting smaller trees behind the main tree and even smaller trunks behind those.

Planting some smaller trees closer to the viewer does help give some depth IMHO, but what this accomplishes really well is that it will give a grander scale to your primary trees.

I agree! My plan was to put some seedlings in the front (more to the sides) and back in the future. (I couldn't find any smaller ones around here...)
I really want to create a very dense forest in which you can wander and get lost...

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice start, I need to start doing forests, looking forward to seeing where your forest goes! :D

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Fishtank, do you have an update?
These didn't doing so well! They suffered from a bad mildew infection and I planted the ones that survived in the ground last fall.
The thing with saplings like this is that they have long tap roots.. So I think next time I make a group plantings out of this kind of garden center material, I'll just cut the tap root gradually and grow them in the ground for two years. Otherwise you'll just weaken them too much.

Top Bottom