Beech ground layering?

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Found this unique root sucker off a very large beech, actually I find these quite often and some have incredible character. Are these able to be layered off the parent root?

20200218_141657.jpg20200218_141653.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be trying a bunch of different approaches to these this year. As you mentioned these grow straight off big roots, so we will have to try a couple different techniques.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've ground layered American beech to collect them. I would, however, think this big one probably has its own root system. I'd check it-you might have to ground layer--ish it anyway, since feeder roots could be yards away...Will be nice if you can get it out alive. Don't rush it.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've ground layered American beech to collect them. I would, however, think this big one probably has its own root system. I'd check it-you might have to ground layer--ish it anyway, since feeder roots could be yards away...Will be nice if you can get it out alive. Don't rush it.

Anything you can suggest for ground layering beech? Or is it just the same as other species.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the replies everyone. No roots in sight on this, straight off the main root!

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Found this one today, this would be an awesome tree in short order I believe.

Any other tips or suggestions to try and layer this? This is growing on an old root system, the parent tree has been gone for many years. It's amazing how root systems will graft and continue to live.

20200328_120549.jpg20200328_120554.jpg20200328_120601.jpg

The original tree stump
20200328_120425.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro....this shit is dope.

Dope enough for a plan.

I would attempt to root them much further below where you want to ground layer.

Pack a 3foot section leading up to it with sphagnum, get the whole thing to root, then bring them home to do delicate bonsai work later.

There is Zero chance in hell you'd find me trying to get this right in the field.
Just to have the same animals been eating the tree eat your new roots.

Get them home safe AF.

Then do your precise ground layer.

Then..

Sell me the second one!

Cheers!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can imagine, a 3ft section of root in a garbage can filled with soil can be easily angled so your ground layer can be perfectly horizontal to Earth, and any angle on the tree itself.

Ease.

Treat yourself.

Sorce

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
My back yard is flooded with American Beech and I have never seen such cool stuff. Mine all straight af unless a tree is laying on top of them. Really cool.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ohmy222, I typically only see these on very large old beech or in this case an existing root system from a dead parent tree. The deer keep these pruned down every year.

Sorce, I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you're saying. Are you saying try to layer the large root this is growing off, then after its removed then bring it back a 3 foot section and eventually layer off the "actuall tree"?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Oh man… That would be an amazing tree… But I think you might have your work cut out for you with this one.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Something along the lines of this?

20200329_143545.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would think the outer red lines would need to be closer to the subject tree....

Last edited:
Top Bottom